Good thermometer?

Arnold

Well I have my WSM and a chimmeny starter.Now I am looking for a good thermometer to go with it.I have seen the mavarick et-73 being mentioned alot on this site but I was looking for info from an owner of one to hear the good and bad by using that model.Also if there may be a better choice of a therm.I am not looking for a digi q or a stoker at this time.I will like to learn to maintain temps on my own first.

Thanks

It looks like you have already started your research. If you are looking for a remote thermometer, there are two that are popular, the Maverick and Nu-Temp. People are partial to both(I'm a Nu-Temp fan). If you have a new WSM, it already has a thermometer in the lid, this is a start. Depending on what you cook, you'll need a meat thermometer. Any probe one should work. Next level up is a remote thermometer and then a high end probe.

Spend $13 on one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9..._1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen
for a few cooks and then look into upscaling.

Arnold, Take this as a vote for a Maverick et-73, although I have not used a nu-temp. I use my mav every time I smoke, even if just for the wsm temp. I don't have any communication problems that some people report; the wsm is on the deck and the mav covers my whole house. It's mainly for my laziness. I leave it in the kitchen so I don't have to go outside to monitor the temp of the smoker or meat. It simply works great, and when it dies I'll buy another. The nu-temp may be great, but the mav is great for me. Good luck.

I just got a maverick and used it for an overnight cook. I have no issues with it. The probe wires could be a bit longer. One probe is 1 degree off and another 2 off my thermapen readings so its pretty accurate. Past that there seem to be lots of complaints about things that really aren't an issue to me. Time will tell.

Power switch on the sender is behind the (gasketed) battery door, tiny switches that some people have reported breaking, only a temp up button and not a down.

Get you a thermopen, and relax. If you keep the dome thermometer from 12 to 2:30 o'clock, which can be easily done with the WSM your q will be fine!

Keep your bottom vents at 15-30% and top 100% it is a true set it and forget it machine!

Life is complicated enough!

Just my 2 cents, enjoy and let us know how it goes.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arnold:
Well I have my WSM and a chimmeny starter.Now I am looking for a good thermometer to go with it.I have seen the mavarick et-73 being mentioned alot on this site but I was looking for info from an owner of one to hear the good and bad by using that model.Also if there may be a better choice of a therm.I am not looking for a digi q or a stoker at this time.I will like to learn to maintain temps on my own first.

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arnold,

Another vote for the Maverick et-73. It's worked well for me. I've had no comms problem.

Another vote here for the Maverick ET-73. I've had mine for about six years and used it everytime I used the WSM until I got a Guru. I still use it with an extra food probe to monitor food temps on the top and bottom grates at the same time. Good customer service is also a plus, though I have no experience with the other thermo venders CS.

I've been nothing but pleased with my ET-73. It's everything you would expect. Very much worth the money.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maverick ET-73 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Arnold,

I logged on to see what thermometer I might need and saw you had already ask. I looked on amazon and didn't find the Maverick et-73.
I'm wondering about the plastic being placed on the cooker. Will it melt? How are the dual probs being used. Since I don't have one I'm not sure what to ask or look for. Let me know what you decide on and if it preforms the way you hope for. Later ... H
icon_smile.gif

Harold--The ET-73 comes with a small metal holder which will hang on the top lip of the WSM mid-section while holding the thermometer away from the metal. I wasn't comfortable with that, so I simply fashioned something similar out of a wire coat hanger that holds the ET-73 3"-4" away from the side of the WSM. The ET-73 comes with a "smoker probe" and a pointed "meat probe" and has a separate jack for each. It doesn't know which probe is which, so if you get an additional "meat probe" from Maverick, you simply use the second probe in the jack for the smoker temp and you are able to monitor two different pieces of meat. I have one of my meat probes marked "LOWER". You could concievably use all three probes and just swap them around to get your readings.

Hope that makes sense and helps. T.

Back