Pulled pork turn in boxes

JSMcdowell

TVWBB All-Star
This year will be our first competitions where we are doing all 4 meats. I know (well, for now anyways) what I want my rib, chicken, and brikset boxes to look like. However, with pulled pork it seems like you can have a greater variance in turn in boxes. Does anyone mind sharing photos of their turn in boxes and if possible, advise how you did on presentation ?

Thanks in advance!

No photos to share right now.

I will say that in general, many teams take a money muscle and slice it into 6 or 7 pieces. They will also try to get 6-8 good, thumb-sized chunks with bark that are more or less equally sized and have a decent appearance.

Put the money muscle back together, along with the chunks and lay all of that on a bed of pulled/shredded.

Get creative.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I will say that in general, many teams take a money muscle and slice it into 6 or 7 pieces. They will also try to get 6-8 good, thumb-sized chunks with bark that are more or less equally sized and have a decent appearance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I break down my scores, so I can say with certainty: you will get better appearance scores with a combo of sliced and pulled in the box. I sometimes add slices and sometimes I dont, and my app scores are always better with it in.

here are our average appearance scores (NOT dropping low judge) for our last 6 contests:

with slices (n=2) 8.33
without slices (n=4) 7.66

after weighting the score, it works out to be about a point difference to our total.

Hopefully I did the picture thingy right. This was a PP box I turned in last year. Looking back at it now, it looks dry and the sauce looks a little gloopy. However, looking at the score that this box got (yes I keep all of my scores), it was about the top third of the field but I didn't get a walk.

PA090111.jpg

Russ

Here's a couple of pics that placed well for me in KCBS competition last year. The first one got 2nd place out of 52 teams in Morgan Hill. The second pic got 3rd place out of 55 teams in Bakersfield.

gallery_1711_155_186962.jpg

gallery_1711_155_282647.jpg

Thanks to both of you. It was our first (and so far only) first place in any category. And against some very tough competition.

There's a bit of glop on the lettuce on the right side that I wish I'd caught, but I guess it didn't hurt.

As a judge I look for the entry to be clean and sharp looking. My perfect box would have three slices side by side barely overlapping and then some pulled pork in the back of the container. If you sauce it, use a bright green garnish to bring out the color of the pork and sauce.

I judged a contest this last weekend and to my surprise there was a pork and a chicken entry with no garnish. This is of course perfectly acceptable but very hard to judge fairly.

A judge is supposed to judge the meat and not the box or garnish. IMO that is impossible to do. If it were up to me, I would get rid of garnish all together so that is in fact what you were judging.

One other thing to remember is that appearance, taste, and tenderness are judge on a weighted scale with appearance being very low in the overall score.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Application of KCBS Rule 19

When a single judge awards a perfect score of 9-9-9, the weighting factors have the following results:

A raw score of 9 in appearance times the appearance weighting factor of 0.5714 equals a weighted appearance score of 5.1426

A raw score of 9 in taste times the taste weighting factor of 2.2858 equals a weighted taste score of 20.5722

A raw score of 9 in tenderness times the tenderness weighting factor of 1.1428 equals a weighted tenderness score of 10.2852 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope this helps.

Jim - I judge as well and while I like sliced pork in the box, I would want to see at least 6 slices so each judge could get some of the sliced, as well as some of the pulled or whatever else the competitor put in the box.

I do like to have some pulled pork in the box along with the sliced, but you judge 'em as they turn 'em in - and its the appearance of the meat, not the grooming of the surrounding garden!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Jim - I judge as well and while I like sliced pork in the box, I would want to see at least 6 slices so each judge could get some of the sliced, as well as some of the pulled or whatever else the competitor put in the box.

I do like to have some pulled pork in the box along with the sliced, but you judge 'em as they turn 'em in - and its the appearance of the meat, not the grooming of the surrounding garden!

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I probably didn't state that correctly. I meant two sets of three pieces side by side with some pulled in the back.

You are correct in stating you are to judge the meat and not the garnish, but my point was that it is very hard not to take the garnish into consideration. And if we are only to judge the meat, then why have any garnish at all?

Been a bit since I checked on this thread, That is a great looking box Dann.

Pat, I agree, one thing I love about the FBA rules is no garnish. I don't see a point in it. Does it make the box look better? Maybe to some. But if it wasn't on the smoker, I don't think it should be in the box.

Back