Wood for Tri-Tip

JustinL

TVWBB Pro
So...
Tonight I grilled up a tri-tip rubbed with yum-yum steak seasoning. I put some bourbon oak barrel wood on the coals and reverse seared the tri-tip. Cooked it to medium at a temp of 145 as my wife doesnt like her meat bloody, but it still turned out great!

However...
I did notice that it almost seemed to taste a little porky and I was thinking this might be due to the bourbon in the wood.

I also have peach, apple, cherry, and hickory. Has anyone had good results with any of these with tri-tip? Or should i just go without wood for my next tip cook?

I dont know maybe im just being to picky. Like I said it tasted great but it seemed to taste more like pork than beef.

Thanks,

Justin, I have done Tri Tips with both cherry and peach separately of course and loved them each way. I have to say that the peach was really mild and everyone loved it. I am partial to the cherry wood flavor myself, but I liked the peach as well. I usually cook mine to around 135 and let it rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.

When I do Tri-Tips I like to use Hickory. I think it works well with Beef. I also use the reverse sear and cook to around 145.

Justin,

Haven't done a tri tip yet, but I like oak with beef. I also use the bourbon barrel oak from time to time. I haven't noticed a "porky" flavor, but the bourbon definitely adds another dimension of flavor.

I like mild smokewood; peach, apple, cherry, pecan, for pork & poultry. For beef, Most prefer a little more gusto in smoke wood; hickory, oak, mesquite,etc
icon_smile.gif

Justin, had something similar happen to me years ago although I caught the error prior to cooking, probably didn't happen to you but I thought I'd bring it up just in case as I cannot imagine the big beefy flavor of a beef tri-tip tasting like pork. My SO picked-up a tri-tip for me and she brought home a Pork tri-tip. I'm sure you would have caught this immediately as it's pretty obvious, but just in case I thought I'd throw it out there.

I was fortunate enough to eat the peach wood tris at Ed C's last weekend, the peach wood was really nice; in fact he gave me about 25 lbs of it and I cannot wait to "tri" it.

I know you don't have any on hand but if you ever run across any pick it up as in my opinion Red Oak is the ultimate with tris. My understanding is it's also a key component to Santa Maria Tri-Tip.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Larry I just checked the label again and it is beef loin tri-tip although you had me a little worried, lol. Ill keep an eye out for red oak. Ive heard oak is good so I was hoping that they bourbon barrels would work. I also forgot to list that I do have pecan also so thanks for the suggestion Mitch.

Thanks again everybody,

JMO, but, if your meat tastes like something other than meat, maybe using too much wood. In the grill, I find that one small chunk is enough for a tri, or one medium handful of chips

ham taste usually means to much salt. was the meat treated/enhanced ? if you treated the meat with more salt then yer gonna have that ham taste. i prefer pecan or oak for my beef.

Originally posted by JustinL:
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Larry I just checked the label again and it is beef loin tri-tip although you had me a little worried, lol. Ill keep an eye out for red oak. Ive heard oak is good so I was hoping that they bourbon barrels would work. I also forgot to list that I do have pecan also so thanks for the suggestion Mitch.

Thanks again everybody,
Hey Justin if you happen to find any Red Oak up our way please let me know. I would love to get my hands on some.

Dave,

I think you may be right. I added two chunks this time when I usually only add one. I even remember thinking after I added them..."I think that's gonna be too much"

George,

I rubbed it with Kevin Taylors Yum Yum steak seasoning. It is a little salty but it is made for use with beef so I would think it should be ok, unless I added too much salt when I made it up but I have used this batch before on steaks and really enjoy it.

Steve,

I will definitely let you know if I see any. The best place locally that I have found for buying any pre-packaged is california backyard in roseville. I have also gotten peach and apple from local orchards. Any other recommendations for places to look?

Thanks

Originally posted by JustinL:
Steve,

I will definitely let you know if I see any. The best place locally that I have found for buying any pre-packaged is california backyard in roseville. I have also gotten peach and apple from local orchards. Any other recommendations for places to look?

Thanks
I have only been able to find wood at places like BBQ Galore before they closed down or Home Depot or Wall-Mart. I have also ordered it from Doitbest.com and had them ship it to Meeks in Rocklin. I am real tempted to take a drive to the Lazarri plant in South San Francisco and pick up about 150 pounds of their Hickory chunks. The price is good since I wont have to pay for shipping and I can get a good size supply to last quite a while.

Back