Performer or 26" kettle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the question. If you are feeding SEVERAL people often...the Kettle. But..if it is for "regular" use the performer. I just got an older performer yest...have not cooked on it but know I will love it. Love the top, quick start, mobility...its awesome.

Good question. I'm assuming the only benefit of having the 26" kettle over the 22" performer is the extra 4 inches? I should probably go with the Performer as the options on that outweigh the extra space of the 26 incher for me.

Yeah, get the performer...you will not look back. I have cooked everything from brisket, pork butts and everything in between on 22 in kettles. Yeah the 26 has a cool WOW factor to it cause it is big but..If your on a budget and can only get one...get the performer...a Blue one
icon_biggrin.gif
Soon they will be on amazon for 299 delivered. Get the cover too...keeps it out of the elements..should last MANY years if taken care of..but that goes for anything

the performer is nice w/ the gas assist and the table. that will be more handy than the size of the 26.

yet... if you have a nice deck or are handy, build a nice working area for the 26.

Mike

Hi Folks,
Ok my 5 cents worth(used to be 2 cents but must account for inflation)
icon_wink.gif

I would go with the performer if you hadn't already done so as it's been a month since this post has been first written because the usuability of the Performer far outweighs an OTG due to having a table, charcoal bin and built in a sturdy trolley and I reckon the Performer sits up a lot higher so it's easy on the back.
If you find you need more grill area than the 22.5 inch then why not try to pick up a good used OTG or OTS and use it when you need it and then you'll have 45 inches of Grill instead of 26inches with the bigger Kettle.
I have an older OTS which is still in good condition and I'll never sell it because i can use it to cook other stuff when I'm doing low & slow smoke on the Performer or I use it as a charcoal chimney station and have hot burning coals on hand.

Cheers

Davo

The best answer I can give is BOTH.
Why settle for one, If you are having trouble deciding then obviously you have a use for both.

Regards

A second kettle is a cheaper alternative to the 26" that does give you more cooking area - 26 has 560 square inch cooking area vs. just under 800 for two 22's.

Guess it really depends on what your needs are. If you find yourself cooking for 5 or 6 people on a regular basis - I'd say go for the 26 - it'll make your life easier than firing/tending two 22"s. If you only need the extra space once in awhile - 2 x 22"s will work.

I think Phil is correct - get BOTH. I have a 22" OTG and 26" OTS and use them both depending on the situation. Instead of getting a new performer - try finding one on craigslist. Get the 26" while you can - who knows how long Weber will offer it this time.

I just went through the same dilemma. I really liked the look of the new 26" kettle - but in the end I just picked up a new black Performer. My family is getting smaller - kids are heading off to college and it will just be the wife and I pretty soon.

I still have my 22" OTP which has been relegated to camping duty - but I wouldn't hesitate to press it into service if I had to.

I do love the Performer - really can't beat the convenience of all the features. I really didn't think I would become so hooked on the gas assist - but man that is an awesome feature!

when i heard about the 26 a year ago i knew i had to have one so i picked one up as soon as i could. but i still wanted a performer. i watched craigs list for months and finally got a very nice red ss performer. its my favorite grill now.
the 26 gets used less often, but i'm glad i have both. if i could only have one though its definately the performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back