Help needed. I'm struggling with cleaning my cast dutch oven

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
I have the Lodge 5 quart Dutch oven. I cook mostly cabbage and sausage in it. I give it a bath in hot water and then scrub out the cabbage scum with a unsoaped sponge. I prefer to really clean it good so the cabbage doesn't stink while the dutch oven is stored away. I'll give it a quick wipdedown with vegetable oil (or Pam spray) after drying it off.

I feel like the factory seasoning is being worn away inside by my cleaning. I made an effort to clean it less after my last pot of cabbage but there was some discolorations left in the pot that looked like something I would have preferred to wash out.

When I wipe it down with oil I use a folded paper towel and pour a little olive oil on it. That works so-so but I start to get a lot of shreds of paper towel on the sides of the pot.

So....are most folks usually cooking a nice, greasey hunk of meat that adds to the seasoning?

I cook just about anything in my Lodge cast skillet.
It's about 15 years old and has yet to see soap. I will soak it to loosen the clingy bits, and if any kind of scrubbing is necessary, I use kosher salt. I dry it well, and every third use or so I give it a very thin coat of canola oil and heat it a bit, enough to get a good sheen. Nothing sticks in there now, except an occasional small bit or two.

And yes, nothing beats meat to keep it seasoned.

I've never soaked a pan or pot, nor used soap. Like Curt, if I need to scrub I use kosher.

After the pan has been well rinsed, dry it, then put it on a lit burner so that it will completely dry. Don't forget it's there. It need not sit long on the burner - just long enough to heat enough so any remaining water at all evaporates. While still warm, pour a smidge of oil into the pot (use a high heat oil like canola or grapeseed), wipe with a paper towel to spread very thinly and in such a way that all you leave is a sheen, no oil.

If the factory season is being warn away simply re-season.

If you're cooking the sausage and cabbage with fat - either added fat or the fat released if you crumble the sausage - that's not the problem. Acids, if added, can eventually alter the finish, but the finish can be easily restored.

I guess my question is specifically about how clean to make it. After a wash and towel drying I can see residue (non-chunky) which is probably more a film of what was laying up against the sides of the pot while cooking. I think I will get a nylon brush today and experiment with using that.

On the paper towel...do you get the little bits of paper towel from wiping down a light coating of oil?

Discoloration up the sides isn't a concern. Interaction between the foods/liquids and the metal can cause discoloration but that's all it is. It isn't anything that needs to be 'cleaned'.

The interior of your pot should be very smooth. I don't know if the thin, cheap paper towels disintegrate when used - I don't use those - but I wouldn't think so; I've never had that occur.

I wouldn't use a brush. If you feel the need, use several tablespoons of kosher salt with a moist sponge or kitchen towel after cleaning in a standard fashion. The bit of residual water in the pot along with the moistness of the sponge or towel will turn the salt into a paste. Scrub evenly with the paste. Don't worry about discoloration. Rinse well, drain well, dry, then dry on the stove. While warm, pour a little bit of oil (not olive oil) in to the pot, then smooth with a towel - try a kitchen towel instead. There should be no more oil in the pot after smoothing other than what leaves a sheen - it doesn't take much.

If you can, take a pic or two of the interior and post them so we can see what you're seeing.

All good advice above. I use a fairly good number of cast iron pieces (dutch ovens, oval roasters, skillets, etc).

The kosher salt method works 99% of the time. A better/lasting slurry is made by using a little oil (I use canola) with the kosher salt. This keeps the salt from dissolving so fast. And leaves a nice light film after rinsing with hot water and wiping down.

While you are cleaning turn the oven on to about 150 to 200 degrees. After done and wiping down set it in the oven for 20 minutes or so. Light spray of pam or wipe with canola (wipe it off until it looks dry) while still warm is a good way to store it. Too much oil will make it sticky so be sure to wipe it down well an remove the excess.

You can still end up with a discoloration that has no effect.

Harder, crusted stuff is easy to remove by just filling the item with water and heating the water to just about boiling and let it set awhile. Rinse then use the salt method above.

Most of the time I just use hot water and a non abrasive pad to clean.

Re-seasoning or rebuilidng it is a whole other topic, not sure if you are looking for that detail here. Bottom line, don't be concerned about loosing seasoning as it is easily restored.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a little oil (I use canola) with the kosher salt. This keeps the salt from dissolving so fast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good point.

I wouldn't worry about how it looks as long as it is smooth.

FYI, If I am concerned about seasoning one of mine, I take it camping.

Cook something real greasy, or coat it down real well and toss it in the camp fire coals when you turn in for the night. I'm sure some will disagree with me here, but it works for me.

Dennis

Back