Nomex flight gloves

Mark R (LR)

TVWBB Super Fan
In searching for heat resistant gloves that might work well with a smoker, I ran across Nomex flight gloves. It looks like you can find pretty good deals on them, and it also looks like they might work well. Has anybody used them for smoking or have thoughts on whether they might work well? Thanks!

I also got welding gloves from Home Depot and they work awesome..and only around $15.00 bucks I think? I haven't juggled hot coals with them yet...but I have removed hot racks and stirred around coals and added more coals to the fire and didn't feel a thing..

Thanks for the replies. Welding gloves seem to be used by a lot of folks. I was afraid my hot coal juggling might suffer, but I guess they shouldn't bother my cooking. I live near an Academy Sports and a Home Depot. I figure I'll stop and see if Academy has a good price on cooking specific gloves and head to Home Depot for welding gloves as a plan B.

I also use welding gloves, usually cost around $8-10. The great part about them is once they get worn, singed and covered with grease, you toss them and grab another $8-10 pair right down the street.

Academy had some Steve Raichlen smoker gloves(long, leather)for 12.99 which was close enough. Did some prep work tonight & looking forward to first attempt with WSM tomorrow: Loin back ribs, country-style ribs, corn on the cob & beans (all on smoker). Thanks again for the input!

Mark,

Nomex flight gloves have very thin (like kidskin) leather palms and fingers. They also wear quickly at the thumbs and seams. I assume they are to give good dexterity and protect a pilots hand's from a "flash-over" fire till he/her can get their butt out of the seat. I know from personal experience they WILL NOT do a good job protecting your hand from something darned hot (like a tail pipe). Get a set of welder's gloves from your local Big Box store.

Ken

Thanks Ken! Nomex sounds like good heat-resistant material, but you confirmed my suspicions that they might be too thin for prolonged heat exposure. I got some grilling/smoking gloves at Academy for $12.99 (the one next to me has a large outdoor cooking section), and they worked well for my first smoke. I was even able to get nitrile gloves over them for when it was time to flip ribs.

The other downside is that heat effects it. After awhile it starts to harden up and eventually it get brittle. At least I've had 3 pairs of driving gloves get that way.

So Mark if you have an Academy close by you must be around Texas somewhere...

Nomex flight suits and gloves are made to be fire resistant to protect the flight crews. They are not really "heat" resistant so I would not use them for that purpose.

Ray

Back