Second best (cheap) probe thermometer?

Phil Pavlovicz

TVWBB Member
My $10 Tru-temp digital probe wigged out on me this week and I need to replace it. I don't want to fork over the $93 for a Thermapen right now. Anyone have a recommendation on a less pricey but good digital instant read? Most of the posts regarding probes are a few years old on the forum, so I was wondering if anyone had a current recommendation.

I have a ten-buck Taylor digital probe-type thermometer that I picked-up a while ago.

It gives good, accurate readings, but is not what I would call "instant" - it takes about 30-seconds to show full temperature. Plus, when I used it for candy or over some high grill heat a while ago, the plastic housing warped and does not close-up completely like it should.
But hey, for ten bucks, it still works fine.

Display (top of probe) is about 2-inches square by about 3/8-inch thick. Probe came with a plasic "sheath" to protect it when it's in the kitchen drawer.

Thermoworks RT600C. $24 little brother to the ThermoPen from the same company. Waterproof, dishwasher safe, reads in 6 seconds.
RT600C

Corey, yes it does. I have a few Thermapens. The PDT300 is my backup. I've used it on numerous occasions and it's always hit temp in that time.

I did not know Thermoworks made a somewhat slower response, less expensive model, Jim. I wonder for how long.

Back