Turkey in the 26.75

ScottE

Closed Account
I think for Thanksgiving, I would like to use the 26.75 kettle instead of the WSM so I can get some crispier skin. I am a little concerned about clearance though. If the turkey wont fit on the cooking grate would it be OK to set the turkey on a rack and set it on the charcoal grate with the charcoal in the little baskets they give you with the 26.75??

If you don't use fire bricks you'll end up with some mighty crispy skin if you sit the turkey on the charcoal grate without a heat shield of some sort.

Good call. Maybe I will use the WSM with no water in the pan with the Tom on the bottom shelve........

Scott, no worries cooking up to a 14lb turkey even on a 22.5" kettle, IF you cook it in a pan and/or use the charcoal baskets. I've never had a problem and never used firebricks, either. That's the magic of the Weber grill, in how a simple indirect set-up will cook so evenly, even with the sides of your formerly feathered fare so close to the fire. I really wouldn't think twice about it, ESPECIALLY if I was using the big kettle.

Smoked my bird in the wsm last year, but I'm not gonna fight it trying to get HH this year. I'll probably just make a half moon of charcoal in the kettle with a big drip pan in the middle. Bird in a pan, legs pointed to the coals, and cook 325-350*. This is how Jamie Purviance recommends in the Weber books, and he suggests starting breast down in the pan for the first hour. Weber and Jamie recommend up to 12lb birds for the 22.5", but I've done a little heavier. You oughta be able to cook a pretty big bird in that big kettle, or if you want to cook upwards of 400*, you'll have more space. NO PROBLEM.

Dave's got it down! You'll have LOTS of room in that kettle. I've pushed 14lbs. in Weber 22.5 OTG. Brined, injected, water pan beneath with just a little water, breast side down first, as Dave said, but I do one side indirect and turn bird. Very little apple wood or pecan. Also use those coal racks, just because I have them, and baffle with 2 strips of tripled HD foil to keep fire off bird. If necessary, I'll foil a 12 lb. turkey where it needs it. Good with bacon strips too, just for a little fat and juice on outside, buffer breast. But again, I brine & inject, help a poor ole dry turkey as much as I can. Good luck!

Back