Smoked Spanish Paprika

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane Cherry

TVWBB All-Star
If any of you have ever thought about getting some of this stuff, I highly recommend it. I just ordered a one pound bag from Penzey's, and made my rub for everything, adapted from Martha Stewart's, and I can only tell you, after years of using regular paprika, this one ingredient completely changed the aroma and taste for the better. I'll never do without this one spice again.

Completely agree with your view on this spice, Jane. 1 lb.. wow that's a lot. I've found that a little goes a long way. The Santo Domingo brand has a very strong smoke flavor that can overwhelm everything else if not used judiciously. I use it to complement the other spices in my rub and sauce mixes. I particularly like it mixed with some Hungarian hot paprika that a friend brought back from a trip to Budapest.

Many times when making a rub, I will use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of a certain spice, and with the shipping being so expensive from Penzey's, I really try to order large quantities. Granted, I cook for a living, so my usage is probably more than average.

I will definitely be using this one spice a lot in the future. Kevin recommended it, and he's in Vegas right now eating to his heart's content. Just told me the meals he's had since he's been there, and I am so jealous!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back