Airtight/Smoke Leakage

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

OK..Fired up the WSM this morning for the first time with some turkey breasts (starting my first smoke on the WSM with something I can't really ruin unless I REALLY screw up!). My question is how much smoke leakage would be considered normal from around the lid/middle cooking section? I seem to have a fair amount of smoke leaking out from there although the middle section appeared not to be "out-of-round". Any info would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!!

Clinton
WSM is not an air tight unit and doesn't need to be. As you cook there is a build up on the inside of the unit which you don't want clean off the side walls and top, it help stabilize pit temps and seal the unit a little more.
As long as the cooking temps are ok don't worry about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Clinton
WSM is not an air tight unit and doesn't need to be. As you cook there is a build up on the inside of the unit which you don't want clean off the side walls and top, it help stabilize pit temps and seal the unit a little more.
As long as the cooking temps are ok don't worry about it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jim...The turkey breasts came out perfect and I am officially hooked on using my WSM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back