Fresh Cream of Mushroom Soup with a twist

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
How about the addition of smoked mushrooms ???

Just had the mushroom dip...thought soup with smoked 'shrooms would be a hit!

what besides chicken stock?

Guinness? other rich flavored beer?

I've seen recipes, butter, cook mushrooms (onions), add flour...add stock....add cream.

What would be better than some smoked mushrooms and beer?

Havent tryed the smoked shroom dip(yet)
icon_rolleyes.gif

But it sounds great.

in a soup i think it will work great. But i wouldent add beer.

I think that the shrooms boiled up with cream and sauted onions mixed in a blender and salt/pepper to taste is the way to go.

Report back on your try.

Don't miss the dip...I waited a couple of years before I tried it. My loss. It is very good.
See Doug's Mushroom Dip in appetizers.

Like Wolgast, beer isn't working for me here. It could - possibly - work as a finish (added just before serving) but I'd be more incline to try a lighter bodied microbrew (not a 'light' beer). I'm not sure that's working for me either but it's something worth trying.

For the soup, consider making it sort of one 'normally' might - with a couple minor changes: Sauté mushrooms in butter till they give up their juices. Add a little salt and white pepper, a little thyme, a small bay leaf, and a couple minced shallots or the equivalent in minced onion. Cook a minute till the shallots are soft, add a small clove of garlic, minced or pressed, a splash of cheap white wine, and raise the temp. Reduce the liquid in the pot by half. Remove the bay leaf.

Add a 50-50 combination of half-and-half and chicken stock to just cover the mushrooms in the pot plus a little more. This will cool the mix - fine. Purée 3/4 of the contents of the pot and return it to the pot, mixing well. Reserve.

Make the smoked mushroom dip as written except skip the seasoning, the pine nuts and the sour cream.

Bring the reserved soup to a low simmer then add the dip, about a 1/4 c at a time, stirring well and allowing it to melt into the soup.

(Once melted and well combined, it's at this point you could try the beer, about a tablespoon or so per serving, stirred in well to incorporate.)

Adjust viscosity, if needed, making it thinner with a little stock (or the beer), or thicker by gentle reduction.

Serve, topped with a dollop of sour cream, perhaps a little minced parsley, and, if available, maybe a light dusting of smoked paprika.

Just a thought.

My bad as they say these days.

I did not mean to infer adding smoked mushroom dip- I meant to suggest the addition of just smoked mushrooms to a typical cream of mushroom soup.
As an afterthought, I meant to propose adding beer as part of the liquid component.

I did some research...found a beer laced cream of mushroom soup. Also, found fortified wine additions-sherry, port....

Sherry is quite typical. But other things are as well, as you've discovered.

I know you weren't implying adding the dip to the soup. I am suggesting you do do this, making the dip, instead, as noted, without the seasoning, sour cream and nuts, and using in the soup that way (using the sour cream as a garnish). Making the dip will transfer some flavors to the cream cheese. The fat in it is a great carrier. It also is a wonderful thickener for cream soups (and creamy dressings) and its use here avoids the the typical flour addition as the thickener.

Try the beer and see if you like it.

You can certainly just add smoked mushrooms to a typical soup. I'm simply suggesting the above as a perhaps more pointed direction.

Back