Brisket Rub

Rick H

TVWBB Member
I usually add more Worcestershire Sauce than specified for viscosity purposes. Kinda messy but came out the winner of all the rubs I've tried. On the north side of "warm" to me, some of ya'll may want to cut back on the Cayenne

Wet Rub

2 Tbl Cayenne
1 Tbl Paprika
3 Tbl Brown Sugar
1 Tbl Salt
1 Tbl Onion Powder
1 Tbl Black Pepper
1 Tbl Cumin
2 Tbl Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbl Tobasco
3 Cloves Crushed Garlic

Mix together. Coat meat with mixture and refrigerate for 24 hours before smoking.

Sounds tasty, I'll have to remember to try this one. In fact, I think I'll print it out right now so I don't forget!

Regards,
Chris

Some more detail may be in order in the interest of neatness. The first couple of times I tried this rub I got it all over everything. I spread the entire mixture on the meat side only. I used to make a double recipe and do the fat side too, but we can't tell the difference in taste, and doing one side makes the logistics of handling a 12 pound slimy brisket a bit easier.

I roll off a big piece of Reynolds plastic lined freezer paper and lay the brisket on it centered, fat side down. I spread the rub on the top and sides only using a large flexible bowl scraper. I used to use my fingers but it's pretty messy (O.K., so I'm a sissy). Wrap it like a present and put it in a tray in the fridge. I take the entire tray out to the WSM, carefully open the wraping, grab each end with as few fingers as possible, flip it over and drop it in the smoker. From there on out I don't mop it or move it. Oh yea, have some paper towels hanging out of your pocket to wipe your hands off on after you drop it in the smoker.....

Looks like a good recipe to try. Thanks.

Concerning the messiness when handling raw meat and a wet rub. I recommend purchasing some latex or non-latex(depending if you have a latex allergy) gloves when handling raw meat. The gloves are great!! Just shuck the gloves when done and you don't have to worry about cross contamination, constantly washing the hands etc.

Brian

Rick,
When I make my rub I usually go by the right color of the rub. Last year I actually tried to quantify how much of each ingredient I put in and wow was I surprised.
I use a light brown sugar as a base ~1/3 cup
Chilli power about

Tried this rub on a good size brisket flat this weekend using the "high temp" cooking method. Rave reviews, everyone LOVED it! This one's a keeper for sure!!

I used Rick's rub this weekend on a brisket this weekend. I used Chipotle pepper because I didn't have any cayenne, but it still had plenty of heat. Awesome flavor! A bump to the top for Rick's brisket rub.

Emergency Brisket...
So I made a last minute decision to make a brisket for a gathering tomorrow. I picked up a Flat over at Cosco (I usually pre order a whole brisket from my butcher) It had the fat side down in a Styrofoam tray so I couldn't see how over trimmed it was. Oy!
I'm trying Rick's rub for the first time and I find my bottle of Worcestershire has less than a Tbl of sauce in it.
No worries, I break out the secret weapon.... Filipino soy sauce. (aka Paint stripper, aka Doc Fields' hair regrower and wonder drug, aka glass etching fluid)
Oops... put a little too much in.
No worries! Added another pinch of Brown Sugar, some Paprika, and a few shakes of dry mustard.
Since this is an emergency brisket, there'll be no 24 hrs to marinade. I tossed this little abortion into a Food Saver bag, vacuumed, sealed, and into the fridge for 6 hrs at best.
It's almost 4 a.m., the meat's been in the WSM for about 1 1/2 hours.
Wish me luck.... It's nap time.

Update...
I ended up running up to 190 degrees internal after 12 hours and gave it a 1.5 hr rest. All in all, great texture, good flavor, a respectable meal over all.

Thanks for the inspiration.....I subbed ground chipotle for cayenne and Frank's for tobasco.....It's all I had and my family lives more on the milder side.....all I can say is it turned out wonderful!!! I did a whole packer using the HH method, best brisket to date.

Back