Spring Cleaning

Tom P.

TVWBB Member
I have a many year old Weber Genesis Silver B (I think) that I love to use when I don't have time to fire up the kettles. Over the past year or so I have noticed that it is not performing as well as it used to. It doesn't seem to get as hot and there are definately hot and cool area of the grill when it is all fired up.
Question: Is there a good step by step instruction manual for cleaning all the parts to make it work like new again. I am thinking that perhaps the burners might need to be cleaned or even replaced.

Thanks in advance for the help... this place is always a great resource.

Not sure if there is a step by step. I used the simple green BBQ grill cleaner. It comes in a spray can. I just purchased an older performer..The lid, lip was just FILTHY. The lid did not even sit right it had so much gunk. I sprayed this stuff on and it started working instantly, lots of scrubbing w/ cheap grill scrapers. Id just go at it...get dirty and take on the task. Then fire it up...if performance is still weak, then get some replacement parts and "rebuild" it will last many more years. It could use a cleaning anyway, so regardless if you need to order parts.

As far as the burners, a brass brush or a grout brush should help clean out most clogs, with a shop vac.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom P.: Over the past year or so I have noticed that it is not performing as well as it used to. It doesn't seem to get as hot and there are definately hot and cool area of the grill when it is all fired up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you notice that your flames aren't as high as they used to be, especially on one or more particular burner/s, there may be a simple solution. Spiders absolutely love to nest in the venturi, restricting gas supply.

Weber's recommendations for annual cleaning are here: Weber Genesis Silver B

Page 32 has annual cleaning and Page 33 covers venturi cleaning.

Back