Perfomer (Stainless Steel): One Touch Repair...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken P.

TVWBB Fan
Greetings grillers.

I've a 22 1/2" Stainless Steel Performer (I love the thing) that needs its 'one touch' system replaced (the fins are kind of bent). I've noticed online that the kits specifically say replacement for Performer pre-2000... And I noticed that there's no hex nut, etc. securing 'one touch' to unit right now...

Anyone replace this mechanism in there Performer - because if it mean hacking up my grill, I ain't going there (not a fan of the new plastic ones).

Thank you in advance for advice/url's/how to's/ideas...

Ken - I'll let you know something in a week or so. I've got a stainless model and I already did the replacement of the one - touch system. Just used the standard replacement kit. The cleaning fins and related hardware were so rusted when I got the grill there wasn't any choice.

My ash catcher ring finally shipped last week and should be here later this week. If I can't attach the ash catcher ring because of the one touch cleaning system, I'll let you know.

I'll bet a phone call to Weber Customer support will get you the info you need. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with them Friday ordering parts for another grill. The rep was very particular that I got all the parts that I needed and that they were the correct parts.

Did you pull a schematic for your grill from the Weber Web site yet?

Pat

Thanks Pat - can see schematic; does look as complicated as I imagined...

Maybe a call to Weber is best bet; mine is definitely pre-2000 model.

Will look for note about how your rehab went; given how bent my fins were on 'one touch', I figured community had come across this repair/replacement but I don't see in tvwbb site (and you know that is a flag).

Ken - be sure you have the year code from the vent when you call. I called from the office and at first the rep wasn't going to send me my part unless I could tell her the code on the vent. I looked it up on TVWBB site real quick (I remembered it once I saw it). but she was pretty insistent about wanting the code to make sure she sold me the correct part.

Good luck! I'll let you know how it goes.

Pat

Ken, I am fixing up a 1997 Performer. I am waiting on the weather to clear and warm up enough to paint some chipped areas. I then will install the dampers. Mine were so rusted I had to cut the control rod at the Hdrive in order to get the old ones out. I do not anticipate any problem putting the ash catcher back on.

Larry M

Ken -

My Performer is a 1992 model. Date code "O".

Here's the deal on the ash catcher and ash catcher ring on that model.

On the older Performers, the ash catcher ring was attached to a metal bar that apparently was connected to the bottom of the kettle in conjuction with the cleaning system. I'm not sure how - mine was off when I got it.

Weber didn't have any of the old style ash catcher rings, so after about three months on backorder, they sent me the ash catcher ring for the new Performer/ One Touch Gold models.

That ring attaches to the grill by metal "tabs" that snap onto slots cut into the stubs of the leg holders that are still on the bottom of the grill. I had just put together a OTG so I knew how it worked, but the leg stubs on my "O" model Performer didn't have the slots for the tabs to fit into.

Out came the Dremmel tool and a cutting kit and about 10 minutes later, I had slots cut into the leg stubs just like on the OTG. Tabs snapped in perfectly.

The vent damper/cleaning kit that I put into the performer is the standard one touch cleaning kit that my hardware store carries, or that you can get from Weber.

That may not help you, but that's how I fixed my dilemma.

Pat

Ok - finally getting to this blade repair, have kit from Weber for my unit (h nut) and I CAN'T GET THE ROD OUT to swap in the new parts...

Supposed to just turn and pull but I'm turning and pulling and about dragging my Performer all over...

Anyone have a hint (DA/2000, 2001 unit) how to undo that rod/h-nut config so I can get new blades going...?

Screwdriver in handle turned counterwise worked like a charm...

My 2001 Performer ready to rock and roll...!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back