Potatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

While im at it....unless I missed it,I havent seen this mentioned in any posts.I usually put a handful of potatoes(& sometimes onions,carrots,ect.)in my waterpan.

They always come out soft & delicious,some of my family like them better than the Q!
(some dont like the smoke flavor,heretics!)

As my Q'n experience is limited to my own backyard,not knowing any other Q'ers in these parts,I was wondering if youz guys(&gals)ever do this too? [pardon the Boston accent
smile.gif
]

Thanks,

Theo B.

Ok,im figuring out why I didnt see it in any posts.The waterpan is much further from the coals in the WSM than the Brinkman,the water doesnt boil,the taters dont cook as well.

Hummm...dont know what im gonna tell em at the dinner table tonite. I wonder if theres a box of instant-mashed in the house?
frown.gif

Theo B.

[EDIT-> Ok,the `taters had that great flavor,but after 6.5 hrs they still needed about half an hour steamin' on the stovetop,they are falling apart,very good!]

[This message has been edited by Theo Theophilus (edited 09-23-2000).]

Just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about using the WSM...
wink.gif

I've never thought about actually putting something into the water pan that I'd want to eat! Usually my water pan is so full of disgusting looking fat and stuff that I can't imagine eating anything that came in contact with it. Don't the potatoes, carrots, and onions get covered with all the gunk that falls into the pan?

Regards,
Chris

I am with you on this one Chris ------ YUK! In fact, I always toss my water pan way out in back of my place and I am scared to death that somebody will turn me in for having a ?Toxic Waste? dump.
biggrin.gif
Well, it really isn?t that bad.

Theo, you might be on to something here. If you aren?t cooking anything on the top rack and say you have brisket on the bottom rack, why not have another pan with water and veggies?

Take care and enjoy your BBQ!

I think I will pass on using the water pan to cook veggies, potatoes, etc.

I look at all the gunk in the water pan after smoking a butt, some chickens or slab of ribs and think about cooking something in that stuff ugghhhh

Brian

Hey Theo?your idea must be an East Coast thing! For years when smoking beef roast, I have used my water pan during the last few hours to stew-up vegetables (carrots, potatoes, celery, onions, etc.). Like you, I have always gotten rave reviews on how good the 'gook' in the pan makes the vegetables taste! The idea is not to let anyone see where the vegetables come from, just put them in a bowl and serve! I've done this once so far with my WSM and have found that I too had to let the veggies cook a little longer than with other smokers. This method really does deliver delicious vegetables and is a lazy man's way of smoking the entire meal without an enormous effort??..keep do'in it!!!?..John

I guess it must be John!

Dare I mention what a delicious gravy that 'gook' can be made into? Maybe I better not.

Glad im not the only one.
Heres to keepin' it lazy!

Theo B.
cool.gif

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about using the WSM...
wink.gif

Hey Chris,I was just thinking,
since I seem to be the innovator of this "vegetables-in-the-waterpan" method,
perhaps we can call this the "Theo Theory"?
wink.gif

Theo B.

You know what's funny is that the more I've thought about this and the more I've talked about it with friends, the less weird it sounds to me. It's just water, smoke, meat drippings, and lots and lots of fat/grease. I'm not suggesting I'm going to run out and do it next time I barbecue, but I am starting to warm up to the idea.

Regards,
Chris

Potato slices in the drip pan of a Weber kettle under a roast beef or lamb produce fantastic pan-fried potatoes. So, Theo's idea should work!
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back