SJP

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
My local Ace Hardware still has two of these, one assembled and one still in the box. They want $59.99. I thought about getting one since they are discontinued, but after reading all the posts about them not working right because of no bottom vents, I'm not sure now. I really don't want to mod it and was wondering if anyone has has success using it as it is? thanks.

Wayne

Wayne,
I would grab one if I were you.

I just got one to take camping with me, instead of using the Go Anywhere for camping. In the several times I have used it, it has done a great job. Most of the swirl about the SJP has been about the poor performance caused by reduced airflow. I have not experienced any of that, and I have used it for both quick direct-grilling, and for longer (1.5+ hours) cooks. I like the larger size of the grilling area compared the GoAnywhere, and I like the portability of it.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

NCC

John,
Thanks for the reply. I may go ahead and get one then. I already have a SJS which I have yet to use and a 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" OTS grills.

Wayne

I'm going to throw one out for the other side of the coin.

I don't know if I'd pay that money. Not when they can be had for 39.99 plus a $20 mail in rebate for a grand total of 19.99. That's what I paid back on Memorial day weekend. And for that price, you say to yourself, I might as well mod this thing now so it works right. Or try ebay or craiglist. If you can be patient, you might even find that Ace runs that sale again next year. Seems like they have a ton of inventory still.

About the mod, I've read a few times of people not needing to mod, but I have to wager a guess that about all the sjp is being used for is quicker(ish) cooks, no lid on cooks, low heat cooks, or over filling charcoal cooks. Because when I tested mine prior to the mods, it would not even hold 300 degrees, with all side vents and top vent 100% after about 45 minutes to 1 hour with 1/2 chimney. And got worse, alot worse, after 1 hour. I couldn't even char a hotdog until I left the lid off.

The mod doesn't magically make the SJP the best thing in the world, but it gives you so much more heat control, flexibility, and efficiency.

Todd

Mine holds 350 easily without any mods. I use a mostly full weber chimney.

I use it just like the kettle for anything from burgers, chicken to roasts.

It's not great for getting a really hot sear, but it cooks anything that the kettle will just fine.

I've not seen my ACE hardware have any kind of rebates or sales for that matter. I'm still undecided about buying one. I do have a SJS but have yet to use it so I don't know how well it cooks. There are four of us and sometimes six so I don't know if the SJS would be able to handle cooking for that many people. I guess I will have to think about it still. I really don't want to pay that kind of money for one if I have to mod it to work correctly. Thanks.

Wayne

It depends on what you plan to cook.

The sjs is fine for burgers, wings, or smallish more direct fire cooking. It's OK for small tailgates etc

The sjp allows more versatility in quantity and "how" you want to cook (direct vs indirect). We regularly have 10-20 people at our tailgates, and the sjp is perfect for that.

if you want the sjp for what it is, fine. i agree about the mods. to each his own. but i've always been of the mind that it would be easier and cheaper to just mod an 18.5 kettle. just some shorter legs and bungee cords and yer good to go. to get fancy you could get the top hold down bar and install that. just an alternative.

I went back to Ace Hardware today to have another look at the SJP. Looking at the design of the side air holes, I don't see how it could get good airflow to keep the coals going. I decided not to get it. I will either use my SJS or take the 18 1/2" OTS. I can always do what George Curtis suggested and just put some shorter legs on it.

I didn't leave Ace empty handed though. I bought a Weber wood chip soaker, a pack of Large Weber drip pans, and their last two boxes of Weber starter cubes. This Ace is still selling the starter cubes for $2.29. Weber's online store has them for over $3.00 as do some other stores in town. I always buy some when I go in there. I'm up to 13 boxes.

Wayne

Back