First Smoked Cheese of the Season

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
We love home-smoked cheese. If you've never done it it's incredible. We usually have it for Christmas snacking during the day and take it to give to the hosts of parties we go to instead of bringing a bottle of wine.

Here's my setup. Two unlit briquettes in the slot.

IMG_5945.jpg

Then one lit on that with some smoke-wood on top. I usually use apple.

IMG_5946.jpg

The players; 2 pepper jack, 1 gouda, 1 fontina, and 1 butterkase.

IMG_5948.jpg

On over the ice for about an hour and a half.

IMG_5949.jpg

I forgot to snap a pic of the finished product but it doesn't look much different than the pre-smoke.

Now it's in the fridge for a week to mellow out and it's ready to eat.

Thanks for looking.

Great looking cheese Don! I need to get around doing some cheese too.

Clint, I use a smoke pistol when I do cheese and no heat is required. To smoke stuff its actually better to put the stuff you are smoking towards the bottom of the grill. Since there is no heat the smoke sinks instead of rises.

Thanks for the great idea...I believe I will be going to my local cheese shop over the weekend to pick up some cheese!

Thanks everyone. Sorry to bump up the rating but my thumb hit the rating button on my iPad and I can't figure out how to undo it.

@Clint - as John said, no heat needed. It was pretty cold out when I did this and with the ice in there the needle on the thermometer didn't budge for the whole 1.5 hours.

@Jon - looking forward to it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
Thanks everyone. Sorry to bump up the rating <snip> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure Sure, well I bumped up your rating too
icon_wink.gif

Don - Thanks for the setup idea. I didn't want to buy something just for cold smoking, but I have wanted to smoke some cheese for a while now. Nice to know it can be done on a kettle too.

What was the temp you were able to hold and what would be the best temp you would recommend for cheese smoking?

Great idea Don! I bet the cheese will be a hit! I am going to do some soon. Is that Stubb's you are using?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim H.:
What was the temp you were able to hold and what would be the best temp you would recommend for cheese smoking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not sure. It was under the lowest temp. that the Performer thermometer would read. Never moved the whole cook. Chris recommends keeping it under 90*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Is that Stubb's you are using? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On over the ice for about an hour and a half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So smart. A true cold smoke, so the cheese doesn't melt. Not really a fan of smoked cheese, but have never had yours, only the store bought stuff. (hint, hint). Have a Merry Christmas Don!

My fav is provolone. All I do is make sure the cheese is super cold, not frozen, and use maybe 3 or 4 briquettes and a small piece of apple wood in the WSM. Never gets hot enuff to melt the cheese.

We love smoked cheese, all kinds. My wife prefers cheddar or provolone. My favorite is a strong blue. But the real icing on the cake is to cut it in cubes and drizzle truffle oil infused honey over it! Sounds weird but believe me if you try it you will always keep some truffle honey around!

Back