Portable Webers

Larry Evers

TVWBB Fan
Leaving for Colorado for 3 week vacation. Will have to leave my WSM at home. Has anyone had any experience with the portable Weber Smokey Joe Gold's? Can't go fishing without some sort of "Q"ing goin' on?

Larry,

I have the standard Smokey Joe (same size, less features than the Gold); I use mine all the time. It's the same high quality construction (porcelain-coated steel, etc.) as the rest of the Weber line. Its main limitation is its size, obviously, but the small size can be an advantage at home, when you're only grilling a steak or a few chops and don't need a big cooking surface. You can get a very hot fire going with a small amount of charcoal. Highly recommended. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Steve

I've used the Smokey Joe Silver for many years and it is great. The Platinum is bigger and maybe the ultimate small portable grill.

Larry, Amazon has the Smokey Joe Homer Simpson on clearance for $24.99 /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I'm thinking of getting a Platinum. Anyone here got one? I see the bottom vents are on the side & look small. How's the fire control, easy or a pain? Thanks for any help ~ Jay

Hi JRS:

The Platinum Smokey Joe does have the side vents instead of bottom vents to make it cleaner to transport. It works very well, but be sure to line up the vents with the breeze for maximum airflow.

Back