How to make a wind break

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
Hello all,
Long time reader here. I need to build some kind of a wind break for my WSM. How or what is the best method of building a wind break for my WSM. I live in Southern California, and we get those nasty Santa Ana winds in the fall and winter. It is hard do describe my house, but I hunged a blue tarp in front of my WSM, where the wind was blowing the strongest. The tarp did help, my Turkey came out great, but dealing with the wind was irritating. Is there a better way of building a good wind break for the WSM? I'm open for some great ideas. Thank for your help.

One that look very interesting to me, but was not on Chis' link, was a 55 gal. drum split and hinged on one side and split with a latch, I guess, on the other. Probably could find it on the board with a little searching.

Paul

Do you derive benefits from using insulation/windbreak/enclosures during non-windy, non-cold cooks?

-semi-hijack

Russell

I put mine together similar to the first one in chris's link. Basicly a sheet of plywood. I used 1/2 inch for mine. Main thing I did different is the back is roughly 42 inches tall and the sides are cut from 42 to 48 inches to make an angle. I then put a top on it that will shed water if it happens to be raining.

I guess you won't need that feature since "it never rains in southern California".
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the great tips. I live in the mtns, about 4800ft level. We are expecting some snow this weekend. After this storm, I'm off to Home Depot or Lowes, to build me a WSM shelter. Thanks again for the great tips.

Originally posted by Michael C.:

I live in Southern California, and we get those nasty Santa Ana winds in the fall and winter. It is hard do describe my house, but I hunged a blue tarp in front of my WSM, where the wind was blowing the strongest.

Hey Michael,

I am not certain most non So. Cal folk can appreciate what you mean by Santa Ana winds. Where I live NOW (Lived in So Cal. for many years) they call that kind of wind tropical storm to class 1 hurricane force winds. Santa Ana winds are nothing to take lightly, praticularly when playing with fire.... in a desert.... where there are lots of wild fires.... during santa ana's.
icon_eek.gif
Does the location of the wsm or the location of your home offer some natural wind protection to help? I would think that reinforcment of your wind block would have to be a priority in your construction. Santa Ana winds can be nasty.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n..... too many choices
Gary

No Santa Ana's here, but a cold mist dropped my temps about 30 degrees on Thanksgiving. I went out to Lowe's, bought some Reflectrix (50 ft rolls only), and created this.

It definitely looks like Sputnik has landed, but it keeps the temps up and the rain off. A few holes let me see the temps and adjust the Guru.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike A.:
No Santa Ana's here, but a cold mist dropped my temps about 30 degrees on Thanksgiving. I went out to Lowe's, bought some Reflectrix (50 ft rolls only), </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you had any problems with it hitting the cooker and melting? The reflectix web site said it was only rated to 180 degrees.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Belton:

Have you had any problems with it hitting the cooker and melting? The reflectix web site said it was only rated to 180 degrees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had reflectrix in direct contact with the mid section of my smoker for a couple of smokes. The longest being 5 hours @ 240º. It does not melt down and burn on contact, but upon close inspection a few spots do show signs that the inner bubble wrap has been destroyed. So although it does not seem to instantly fail if it does make contact with the smoker, I'm going to make sure I have a spacer rigged up somehow the next time I use it.

I have not used mine yet.
I framed 4 2'x4' 1/4" plywood panels with 2x2s that have a 1/4" x 1/2" groove cut in them so the plywood is secure, and hinged 2 of the panels together. I will be able to set them up in multiple configurations, depending on the wind, how many cookers I'm using etc...

Here are a few pics of my wind break that I used for the first time for my Super Bowl smoke. I started with four pieces of plywood, but didn't think it would hold up too well. So, I framed it with 2X3's...still wasn't happy...so I added 3/4 inch styrofoam and covered it with the silver Thermo-ply. I also have a plywood top for very inclimate weather. Anything worth doing is worth over doing!

My original plan was to build a folding wind-break. What I ended up with was one I have to take apart to store. The sides are held together with carriage bolts and the door with hinges. To disassemble, I remove the nuts that hold the sides together as well as the hinge pins. I didn't know how much heat would radiate from the WSM, so I added the Thermo-ply to protect the styrofoam. After assembling and using it, I realized I didn't need the styrofoam or Thermo-ply. I should have stuck with my original plan of four plywood sides and hinges. Oh well, I guess I'm ready if I ever get back to Alaska!

http://dawolffs.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?_c01_blogp..._owner=1&_c=blogpart

Bob W

Robert,
That's a heck of a wind screen.
Mine is a little less elaborate (easier to move though) I made 4 2'x4' panels. Each panel is connected to one other with hinges, so I have 2 seperate sections that are 2 panels each. This allows me to fold them up for easy storage. They unfold to be big enough that I can fully enclose my 22.5" kettle.
I was able to use it this weekend around my kettle and it worked real well. Hopefully I'll be able to try it this weekend with one of the WSMs.

I got lucky, In my basement I found a old roll of aluminum siding trim that was here when I bought the place. It's as high as the bottom of the smoker lid. Also it's about four/five layers thick so it's nice and sturdy. I sized the roll to fit around the smoker and secured the ends with aluminum foil tape. "Works like a charm"...

I took a plastic 55 gal. drum and cut the top and bottom off and just slip it over the WSM. I saved the bottom of the drum and use it to soak the crud off the cooking grates, it will hold a 22.5" kettle grid!

Back