Grilling Eggplant with Loin Steaks

Dean Torges

R.I.P. 11/4/2016
Mary's quick and easy eggplant creation, adapted to the grill. Entree and side dish over the same coals in a shuttle motion. I usually use venison loin medallions cut about 3/4" thick, so that a hot sear from both sides leaves them almost rare.

Slice an eggplant into 3/4" pieces and peel each one. Spray both sides with olive oil. Dust with Kosher salt and fresh-cracked black pepper. Ditto steaks with oil, salt and pepper. Sear eggplant over hot coals. (The Weber enameled cast iron cooking grate with the charcoal grate shimmed up right underneath it works nice for this method.)

Transfer eggplant slices side by side onto a sheet of h.d. aluminum foil, move to warming side of grate, and spoon your fav-o-rite spaghetti sauce over each one. Tent the foil. Eggplant will bake and soften in the several minutes it takes to sear and cook loin steaks. Grate Romano cheese over topping before serving and include your choice of red wine with the meal.

Dean, that sounds delicious. I'm going to pick up some eggplant on my next trip to the market.

Alone, it would even make an entree with a slice of mozzarella along with the Parmesan on top... ergo: grilled eggplant Parmesan! And it would be great served on top of pasta too.

Hugs to Mary for this one!
Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rita Y:
Hugs to Mary for this one!
Rita <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure will, Rita. She's been gone to Scandinavia with number three daughter for two weeks now, touring the countries Rick Steve's style. It's no fun cooking for yourself and falling asleep in front of the t.v.

Friends came by yesterday for lunch, so I did this eggplant with feral hog whole pork loins (from about a 50 lb pig). Was excellent, but I lowered the charcoal grate back to normal. Works better there for thicker meat.

Promised Chris a penguin recipe. Eggplant penguin doesn't roll off the tongue like Eggplant Parmesan, but it does ring, don't you think? Am left wondering how I can make it ring like something to eat. May occupy me until Mary returns.

Back