Bad, Bad chicken..(long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Thought I would share my mis-hap with the board. I was going to smoke ribs Sunday, and my wife decided she wanted chicken too. She goes to the store and comes home with a "Baking Hen".
confused.gif
It says on the wrapper it is good for baking, stewing, or fricassing(sp). I know that this is an older, fatter chicken, but I figure smoking is like baking, right? I cut in half and remove the breatbone as shown in the chicken chicken link on the board. I made a brine of one quart water, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/8 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon pepper, and a splash of lemon juice. Brined for 2 1/2 hours, rinsed, put it on the smoker. Smoked at between 235 and 255 at the lid for 4 hours. Checked the thigh temp, 172?. Leg didn't seem loose in the joint, so I left for another 45 minutes. Started cutting it up, seemed really tough. Leg was inedible, breast marginally better. Seemed cooked as far as tempature goes. Put it in the oven at 300 for another 45 minutes, still no good. Threw it in the trash! Ribs were ok, so not a total loss. I'm blaming the type of chicken, does that seem reasonable? Or did I mess up in my technique. The only thing I could see is that I went too long and the thing was overcooked, but 4 hours shouldn't be too long, should it?

Thanks
Doug

Doug
Your right the chicken was the problem.
Fryers are the way to go.
As a man we need our wifes to come up with buys like that so we have something to come back with when we pull one of our bonehead moves.
Jim

Doug
I wish for once my wife would go get a chicken like that boy i would have a field day with her.As it is I'am the one always goofing up so enjoy it while you can
biggrin.gif
JOE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back