Capon

Lance

TVWBB Super Fan
Other than in a Shakespeare play I have never heard of capon, apparently it is a neutered rooster. However, I was at the butcher shop and they sold capon from Ioma brands. I decided to purchase one but I am wondering how I should prepare it. Do you cook capon like you would a regular chicken? Does anyone have any advice?
Here is some info from the manufacturer:
In today's fast-food environment, all chicken products taste pretty similar...that is until you taste a Wapsie Produce capon. These poultry delicacies are raised and processed to be old-fashioned luxuries in a hurry-up world.

Each spring, Wapsie Produce begins growing rooster chicks at its Capon City facilities and with its network of independent growers. These chicks are surgically de-sexed at three weeks of age to neutralize the muscular development of the birds and contribute to the tenderness and flavor of mature birds.

The birds are well-fed for about 16 weeks until they weigh 8-10 lbs. This is double the life span of conventional chickens, adding to the cost, but making the birds more of a special dinner centerpiece. Wapsie Capons are not fed growth boosters, hormones or other stimulants. The long growing process naturally produces a high-weight bird with well-marbled meat.
Cooking capons takes the same attention and care as growing them! They are best slow roasted and make an ideal holiday treat

Lance

Capons are wonderful. This should be the juiciest, tastiest chicken you have ever had. I always roasted them in the Weber gas grill with smoker chips and a pan of water. I would cook them at 325f.
Ken

Lance,

They are wonderful. I usually cook mine at 375 to 400 degrees. I stuff mine with a few cloves of garlic, a wedge of lemon and a wedge of onion, and a slice or two of apple. I rub the outside with oil and sprinkle a good rub over the bird.

I'll bet you buy more capons after you taste this one.

Good luck,

Ray

Lance, my stepdad makes his Polish farm chicken soup with only fresh killed Capons every Holiday and B days etc. We go to a market in Detroit and get it killed fresh. He always used them in Poland and refuses to use anything else. I think the flavor is better besides being a larger bird. I only roasted one once with a Martha Stewart recipe and it was awesome as well. I don't think you can go wrong if you cook it anyway you would cook a regular chicken, Ken

Back