Looking for a rub to go with Teriyaki

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Hello to all,I injected a pork shoulder last weekend with some teriyaki and pineapple juice.Put it on the kettle using apple wood.Normally i use mustard and a rub for a nice bark.I did not use either,and the shoulder came out quite well.Does anyone have a rub that will go with teriyaki,as i want to try this again with mustard and a rub.Thanks

Got any Chinese 5-spice handy? That, with ginger, garlic, onion and a touch of sugar, if desired, would be a thought.

Thank you Kevin.If i remember correctly 5-spice can be a little overpowering,any thoughts on spice ratios. Also my son suggested using apple sauce instead of mustard for a bark.Any thoughts would be helpful. Tim

Here is a recipe I have used before and its good.

2 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons anise seeds, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

You could double the recipe for the pork. I was using a pork loin.

5-spice can be a bit much, depending on the blend and the ratios. The one I like the best contains cinnamon, star anise, clove, Szechuan pepper and fennel. Some contain ginger instead, as Edmund's does, and use black pepper instead of Szechuan peppercorn since they can be hard to find.

Because of the long cook time, the rub will mellow. A sugar addition (I like no more than 15% sugar by volume (not including the salt) for butt) will also soften flavors as the sugar cooks. An addition of granulated onion and garlic helps too as their flavor profiles will dilute the more pungent elements of the 5-spice. Also, the teriyaki injection will mellow things dramatically.

If you use a 5-spice that does not contain ginger, then I'd do something like:

1/2 part ginger to 1 part garlic to 2 parts onion to 3 parts 5-spice, mix, then add 1 part sugar. In practical terms this would be

1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp garlic
2 tsp onion
1 Tbl 5-spice
1 tsp sugar (or more if you prefer)

Triple or quadruple this, depending on how much you like to use.

I don't put salt in rubs. I salt the meat first--for butt, fairly generously--then allow the salt to draw moisture to the surface, 5-10 min. Then I apply the rub over the salt. The moisture makes it stick. Keeping the salt out of the rub means I can rub lightly, moderately or very heavily and not affect the salt level since that is applied separately. Consequently, I don't slather either--though I do do dry-over-paste rubs.

You could do an apple sauce slather if you wish but you'll need to tighten it up considerably first. To do this simply, mix 1 part mustard with 3 parts apple sauce in a saute pan and heat over med-low heat. Get it to a simmer then, stirring constantly, increase the heat to medium and simmer till some of the moisture evaporates and the mixture concentrates and becomes thicker and more pasty, just a few minutes. Scrape to a plate, cool, then use or store for use.

If you go the slather route, salt the meat lightly, apply the slather, salt the slather lightly, then apply the rub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:

You could do an apple sauce slather if you wish but you'll need to tighten it up considerably first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I could be way off base here but I gots to know. Why not use a good apple butter for a slather, which is abundant here in Amish town.
icon_biggrin.gif
IMO that would work well with the Teriyaki theme. Just thinking out loud on this one. I have the Szechuan peppercorns, might try this one soon, with the AB slather of course. Thanks for the ideas Kevin.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why not use a good apple butter for a slather, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Of course! Never thought of that.

I did this with a pork loin as Edmund had done, with the teriyaki injection and the rub .Thanks Edmund this worked well .I did reduce the apple sauce to a slather as Kevin suggested. Added a little rum and teriyaki to the slather. Fired up a chimney of Royal oak on the 22.5 OTG Put the loin on at 450 shut it down till it reached 250 put some apple wood on and cooked until int temp was 150 When i opened the grill this looked like something out of a magazine,the crust was thick and almost like a honey baked ham .I tented this bad boy for a 1/2 hour and talk about juicy.Kevin you were right on the flavors they do mellow,and i too salt my meats before i rub ,just something my grandfather taught me.most rubs are heavy in salt or sugar and i would rather add my own.But i did add a little turbindo sugar at the of this cook

Back