WSM Mini details...

Kevin S.

TVWBB Super Fan
Just to follow up on my previous post about my WSM Mini. This is my "travel sized" WSM for my RV.

Here's the charcoal grate configuration. I use lump for grilling, so I added the expanded metal across the grate. The ring is about 4.5" deep.

This is the top view into the body. I used three rack supports made from aluminum that I bent into shape. This is what it looks like with the stainless water pan. I used water once, and sand twice (in a pie tin).

I folded over the top edge for strength, as it seemed a bit flimsy. Folding didn't do much for strength, and the lid didn't fit very well, so I added a metal rim made from 6061 aluminum. The increased diameter makes the lid fit snug, and the top is very strong.

A little more than one Weber chimney full of Kingsford Classic fits for a MM start.

For this test run I decided to try a ceramic planter base instead of water or sand. Guys using the Big Green Egg use these all the time, so I figured I'd try it too. I found one with a 12" diameter and wrapped it in foil. It fits as well as the water pan.

I dropped a 5.5 lb Butt and a couple of Fattieson for this cook. With the ceramic dish, the Mini came up to temp quickly - about 20 minutes. I started shutting down the vents and after 35 minutes it held temp for the next 9.75 hours. I pulled the Fatties after about 1.5 hours, and when the Mini was in direct sunlight I had to trim the vents a little, but the little thing is as steady as the full grown WSM.

I shut everything down when the Butt was ready (9.75 hrs), and the next morning this is what was left. After knocking off the ash, you can see what's left. My guess is that I could probably run a solid 12 hours on one ring of charcoal, but the limiting factor is the size of the area below the charcoal grate. After knocking off the ash and removing the leftovers, you can see how the ash is very close to the grate. I think after 12 hours it would be at grate level. Of course, the obvious solution is to use lump, which is what I intend to do anyway.

Tips and Notes:
To anyone who's ever wondered why the WSM lid fits inside the middle section... it's because the lid will allow drips down the outside. It happened really badly when I used water. I never usually use water anyways, but for the Mini, it's especially messy.

The ceramic piece worked great, and I intend to find one to fit my regular WSM. I haven't weighed it, but it's a little lighter than the sand pan I used, and the clean-up is a no-brainer. Packing around a ceramic dish is a lot easier than a bag of sand too.

If you want to make your own Mini, email me at mrkevinator (at) sbcglobal (dot) net. There's some building tips I can share to make your life easy.

I plan on making some minor changes with the rack supports. The 8" clearance to the lid is probably too much. There was plenty of room with the Beer Can Chicken, and the Butt was a challenge to get out of the Mini once it was "fall apart tender." I've got an idea for adjustable supports... we'll see.

Oh yeah, everything I've cooked on the Mini has been delicious... but that's the way it's supposed to be, right?
icon_wink.gif

That is way too cool!!
icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif

Seems like it could be an inexpensive alternate to a WSM.

Kevin,
How much did this project suck from your wallet?
icon_biggrin.gif

Enjoy,
Dan
3 Dogs BBQ

The body was a freebie scrap from a local HVAC/sheet metal contractor. I picked up the aluminum stock and expanded metal from Alco Iron & Metal for their minimum charge ($16). A couple of friends have built their own, and paid $22 for the body section. I already had the stainless waterpan (mixing bowl). The ceramic planter base was about $7. Add screws, nuts, knob and paint. Depending on your connections and what you've got on hand, you could build one for about $25-$50.

I'll try to post a pic of the pair tomorrow.

Kevinator,

Thanks for the cost info. I guess it's time for me to hit up the local HVAC contractors for a piece of scrap!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Enjoy,
Dan
3 Dogs BBQ

I noticed you used the Smokey Joe Platinum. Do you think this would work with the Silver. I'm trying to figure out if having the vent on the bottom cause problems because of ash buildup affecting airflow?

Ok, so a digital camera EATS batteries. I gotta get me one of those rechargeable set-ups -- but I digress.

Here's a pic of the WSM and the Mini side-by-side (sort of). The pic makes the Mini look bigger than it really is, due to the perspective. You'll also notice the paint looks decidedly 'flat.' Well, let me warn you not to waste your money on the high gloss, high temp paint from Ace Hardware. It's junk. I wanted the gloss black look, but it took nearly two cans to cover (&@#! drips and runs) and turned flat anyway. What the heck, it cooks great whether it shines or not.

JoeC- I'm sure it won't work with a Silver, due to the amount of ash build-up. To make it work Low & Slow, requires a very slight opening of the side vents. Were you to try that from the bottom, well, it wouldn't take much to choke it off. I recently did a 4.5 hour BB rib cook with lump, and the bottom (where the Silvers vents are located) was buried in ash. Sorry.

I made the little thing and played with it through a handful of cooks, put it away in the RV, then began to miss it immediately. It's just the wife and me, and damn if the Mini isn't perfect for the two of us. It goes a long way on a little fuel too. So, for now it's earned a spot on the tiny deck I have to work with. I guess I'll have to pack it back and forth for our RV trips.

Kevin,

Have you made any upgrades to the Mini?

I'm planning on making one next week. I sent you an email for tips.

I bought an older model Smokey Joe, it's got three vents on the bottom like the WSM. Hopefully they won't clog up with ash.

How high is the middle section?

the joe with the three vents would in my opinion be a very good choice. the one kevin uses is a gold and not a platinum which is an 18 in grill. i saw plans for one a year ago in the patent site. just never got around to doing it. great job kevin.

This is pretty kewl...I pondered on doing just as you've done, and was thinking to roll the body.

I'll email you, I'd be curious where to get the tube that big so I didn't have to roll my own, so to speak...
icon_smile.gif
Most of the local hardware stores only carry stuff that is about 8"-10" is diameter. I'm not looking in the right place.

As I pondered doing this, I found a WSM, but I would still be interested in doing this to the Smokey Joe, and it seems it will still function as a grill after.

I found what I think is a great way to do this: a 32 quart tamale pot. Strong body, built in handles, $20 at wal mart ($25 at target). Original Smokey joe lid fits absolutely perfectly on top of the rolled aluminum pot top.

However, it probably needs a gasket with the bottom section. I've seen foil suggested, but if I want something more "permanent" (as the mid will be removed/replaced a lot), what can I do? Felt tape of some kind? Maybe plasti-dip the bottom edge of the midsection?

What would ya'll suggest as a minimum useful distance between grates?

I think I actually have room for two small grates in this thing. If I grind down the edge of the original weber smokey joe cooking grate, I think it will fit in the pot as a top grate.

That is pretty cool, and nice pics on the cook process. I love my WSM's and also enjoy cooking direct on my Drum Smokers, if you can find a 15 gallon lube barrel, a Smokey Joe lid will fit it in most cases. BDS has a Mini in its lineup now along with a 30 gallon drum that has an 18" cook grate. I like your design and have my eyes peeled on a drum and a Smokey Joe ready to be sacrificed!

Back