Genesis v. Charcoal

S Whipple

TVWBB Member
Hello All, I just bought a Genesis B from the HD. Are there any previous charcoal users who have purchased a Weber gasser and have been disappointed with the flavor v. charcoal?

S Whipple

I think that's just part of the trade-off for having the convenience of gas. I got a Genesis to use on weeknights when I get home late or if my wife wants to grill something before I get home, but I always use my kettle on the weekends (and sometimes even during the week). After tasting the difference for herself, most of the time my wife now plans menus around when she knows I'll have time to fire-up charcoal.

Hi
Yes there is a difference but the convenience makes up for it in my mind.start using a smoke box to help.

Seeeuuu
Jeff

I still like the gasser for some items. I don't use it much anymore, because while I was laid up in bed with back issues, my Wifey cooked for the first time in the 20 years we have been together. She loved it and it is now "hers"!
Anway, there are some times when I do a marinade or special seasoning, and I want to taste that over the kingsford on the kettle, or lump on the WSM flavor. We do shrimp and scallops on the grill a lot now, and I don't want kingsford flavor in it. Some like that, I don't.
I like the "flame kiss" of the gasser on certain items. If I want some smoke flavor, I use those pellets in the foil.
If I had to get rid of one of my 3 cookers, it would be the gasser though.

I've got both the Genesis Silver B with PCI grates and a Performer. I find it easier to produce smoke for a direct or indirect high heat grilling with charcoal. Other than that I don't find a taste difference between the charcoal and the gasser. I get a better sear with the PCI grates. Because of my lifestyle, I would guess the gasser gets 80% of use and the charcoal 20%

If I had to give up one of the two it would be the Performer. If I could have only one cooker, it would be the WSM.

Paul

I agree with Paul. I use my gasser far more than I do the kettle grill. I use my WSM more often than the kettle. If I could only have two cookers, it would be my gasser and the WSM. Though, I'd miss the kettle for it's rotisserie :)

Another vote for the gasser. I'll only use the kettle when I want to play with fire. I've found that, even with the D6, it is cheaper to use gas vs charcoal. You waste a lot of the charcoal once you finish cooking while the gasser goes off immediately. Four bags of charcoal for $22.00 vs one 20lb take for $18. The 20lb gasser lasts longer that the four bags. I can't taste the difference in the two unless chips are added. Since the D6 has a smoker box I can get smoke both ways. The kettle will give you a heavier smoke flaver since it is more airtight than the gasser.

Wow, $18 to fill a 20# tank? We must get a bargain here. Sometimes if you watch the paper, you can fill a tank for $9. MAybe it went up in the past 2 months since I had Mine filled, but I know last time was only around $10 because I didn't use a coupon.
icon_smile.gif

I see a huge difference between the gasser and the kettle in flavor, buyt that's my opinion only.
I was on another forum before and said that the gasser is easier, and faster than using charcoal. I almost had my head ripped off by some diehards there. They said the charcoal doesn't take any more time to get ready than the gasser does. I guess they use a flame thrower to get their charcoal ready, but My gasser is ready a lot faster than the kettle.

Thank you all for your replies--good and interesting opinions and information.

Well my first cook on the gasser was yesterday evening with hamburgers. I was very pleaased with the end product. There was a different flavor than charcoal but, I don't feel like I compromised flavor for conveinence--I achieved a very good flavor which was very much so enhanced by the conveinence and probably the fact the gasser is a new toy too.

S Whipple

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:... but My gasser is ready a lot faster than the kettle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you light the gasser and place all burners on high, you're preheating the grill and the grates at the same time. With charcoal, the chimney has to get going, then dump and allow 10 minutes or so to preheat the grates. imo, the gasser is certainly faster to begin a cook.

Paul

Like I said, I agree with you , but those guys were hearing nothing but what they wanted.
It's kind of like the way some argue that the WSM is not "true" Q. True Q to some is using a stick burner in a side fire box only.
icon_rolleyes.gif
It's hard to get them to see your point also.
Now I will say that the one feller that was part of the debate used one of those flame throwers they use for weed burning, but I'd still say the gasser is faster, less work.

Shoot, I pay around $20 for one tank. It may still be cheaper than charcoal, but as with everyone else, my real reason for preferring the gasser is the convenience.

Hello All, For my second cook on my new gasser, I grilled chicken breasts marinated w/Lawry's Steak & Pork Chop marinate. I over cook the smaller breast and the flavor was just, good--better if not so done. I took the larger breast to work for lunch two days later and it was unbelievely flavorful compared to the smaller ones(the flavors where enhanced just like barbeque after storing in the refrigerator). I have not experienced this with charcoal. Maybe it was just the marinade. Has anyone else experienced this type of enhancement w/ a gasser? Or is their a logicial explanation for this?

S Whipple

I've only cooked twice on new silver A so far but was pleased. I admit my 22.5 kettle makes stuff taste better (I could taste a difference, wife didn't notice as much). But the gasser is more convenient and my favorite part is not having the smoke smell in my clothes from the charcoal.

My only problem is Silver A w/ PCI still hasn't hit 500* in 4 attempts (2 dry runs, 2 cooks). My second cook was new york strips, and after 18 mins pre-heat on high the therm only read 430*. It is spot on in boiling water, btw. But the strips cooked fine and had beautiful grill marks (love the PCI grates). I guess the temp at the grates is high enough even though the hood temp is not quite there yet.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe it's the low output of the A (22k btu's/'04 model) Maybe it would get there eventually? I guess it's not much faster than charcoal for me
icon_smile.gif
Oh well, it made great steaks (post pics if I knew how) so I'm not too worried.

Willie

I would give Weber a call. It could be a regulator issue. The "A" does have only 2 burners, but the space is also smaller. When you tell Weber you've tested the therm, I suspect they'll be trying to do something about the issue.

Paul

Here's the other side of the story guys. Running out of gas in mid-cook has never been my idea of "convenience." It has happened to me at least a couple times with gas, but never while using charcoal. And don't get me started about that post-cook burn-off of the crud and forgetting to shut the blasted thing off ...

That said, I am dying to own a Weber gasser and may finally do it this year. And I will buy a back-up LP tank when I do.

In my past experience with a cheap gas grill I was always satisfied with flavor. My preferences: direct grilling - gas; indirect grilling/roasting - kettle; smoking/barbeque -WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Willie H:
my favorite part is not having the smoke smell in my clothes from the charcoal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, thats the new "Weber....for men" You could bottle that smell and sell it to rednecks like me. Nothing like the smell of a charcoal grill to make the troubles of my day go away.

Paul- I've already bugged them so much though! It was a floor model and came missing the wire shelf on bottom (and owners manual/cookbook) and they sent me all that stuff right away after one email. Great service. I think it may just be the heavy grates combined with the low output- it is the older 22k btu burners, now they have 26k btu. Since the steak seared fine after 15 min preheat (therm read 430), I'm not too worried. Seems like everyone on here has the B model. If anyone has an A model with the PCI grates and older (22k) burners that can peg their thermometer in 15 mins I'd love to hear from them. I've seen a lot of mention made about the cookbox, but I measured in the store with tape measure, and the B really isn't that much bigger- not compared to the extra 14,000 btus anyway!

JRPfeff- I agree- buy a spare tank! But I have had the experience of thinking I had enough charcoal left in a bag only to end up cooking with just 1/3 of my kettle and moving a lot of meat around trying to cook it all. Not fun.

Chris K- my neck is pretty darn red, but I still don't like the smell- scares the fish
icon_smile.gif
Really, the problem is when I grill and then we want go do something. I hate having to shower first. Nobody else likes it, especially stuck in the car with me. Mostly it's when using the smoker, but some days the kettle is pretty bad too.

JRPfeff, a spare tank is the way to go. As for the post-cook burn off, there's no need to do it right away. I usually do it just before my next cook. I have to wait for the thing to heat up before I use it anyway, why not just kill two birds with one stone?

Back