NEW TO "REMOTE" STOKER MONITORING

John Winner

TVWBB Member
Hi Everyone,
I finally got my new Stoker and my wireless local network hooked up. Did my first smoke on WSM (have a brinkman side box smoker...no comparison!) 2 butts turned out great! Used half the lump as compared to Brinkman. Temperature was right on using Amir's software. Did have a problem with the fire probe going to 32* twice during the cook. Rock's is replacing probes (ordered 2 more meat probes as I am a happy smoker
icon_smile.gif
Now to my question, "How do you get the reports from the Stoker to someone else's computer at a different location. Probably asking way too much, but maybe someone can give me a hint since it is obvious I don't know computers very well. Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks
John Winner
icon_smile.gif

you have a several options when it comes to remote management. 1st obvious is to use Remote Desktop if you have XP on your local computer. You'll have to forward port 3389 to that computer to work outside your local network. Of course you'll have to make sure remote desktop will run on your machine, under computer properties, on the remote tab, you'll have to check the "allow remote desktop." To use remote desktop a password for the user must be set, blanks are not allowed.

#2 you can run amir's software remotely, you'll have to forward port 23 and 80 to the stoker IP address. This is more difficult and has better chance of failure.

#3 you can just use the web interface from a remote location by forwarding port 80 to the stoker. this might require some tweaking but it should work reliably once setup.

#4 Just monitor the progress via e-mail alerts on Amir's program. Either send it directly to you remote location e-mail address, or e-mail it to you phone via text messaging.

if you are familiar with networking, it's all pretty simple, if not, it's becomes a little more complicated. There is one more method I should mention, call you wife every 15 minutes, but this can be very painfull after the 3rd call.

I may have over simplified, if so, we can get more detailed and start you in the right direction. I have assumed you have a router, are using broadband, and know what I mean by port forwarding.

I haven't tried it yet but Microsoft has a beta program called www.mesh.com It allows you to sync computers and access them remotely thru a web interface. Perhaps go to www.mesh.com and request a beta invite from them. You may be able to just access your home computer desktop thru this...

Hey Ken & Alan,
Ken, I will try all your options except calling the wife..you must think I want to die! Alan, I will download the software and see what it is all about. Thank you both! I have to say this web site (and you guys) are great when it comes to a NEED!!!
John Winner

Back