Informational cook books? *****

Jarrod S.

TVWBB Member
What would you recommend?

Im particularly interested in books that have increased your overall ability to become a better cook.

Most books ive seen either have a huge number of useful (yet terribly boring to read through) tips, or just recipes. Im more interested in information such as

recipe development,
creative implementation,
balance and ways to achieve it....

maybe the best way to define it is the "philosophy behind the recipe"

does that make sense? Ill look into any suggestions.

thanks,

He sent me a couple of suggestions via email....and i accidently deleted that one...doh!

Kevin could you repost that for me plz

Don't know any of these books fit your parameters, but here's the list of recommended books that Kevein Kruger posted a while back. I'm currently reading Charcuterie. Its very thought provoking. Maybe not about rubs or sauces, brisket or butts, but certainly about smoking meats and fish and making sausage.

The Professional Chef Culinary Institute of America

A Produce Reference Guide to Fruits and Vegetables from Around the World

Nature's Harvest Donald Heaton

Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini: The Essential Reference Elizabeth Schneider

The Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean, Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco and The Cooking of Southwest France all by Paula Wolfert

Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making James Peterson

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn

Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing Rytek Kutas

The Cake Bible Rose Levy Beranbaum

Maida Heatter'S Book Of Great Desserts Maida Heatter

Classic Indian Cooking Julie Sahni

The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook Julee Rosso, Sheila Lukins, and Sarah Leah Chase

On Food and Cooking Harold McGee

Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor Hervé This and Malcolm DeBevoise

Edit: Added by Kevin K below -
Culinary Artistry, by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page (1996, 425 pp)

On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. It covers most of the basic foods with interesting (at least to me) background on the foods.

This book will not tell you how to be more creative or how to develop recipes; but it does provide a sound foundation so that you better understand the basics (and far beyond) of some of the most basic foods, why foods should be cooked in a certain manner and the science behind the food.

With that, I would think one is better prepared to avoid certain mistakes and experiment with recipes. Creativity is another issue. To some degree, we either have it or we don't.

Paul

Thanks for taking the time to write all the references Eric, and Paul i think that book might be a good read for what im looking for, ill have to check it out.

You definitely want On Food and Cooking.

To add another to the list that I think you will find very appealing from a creative perspective, a recent discovery of mine, Culinary Artistry, by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page (1996, 425 pp). It's been around for a while but I'd never heard of it for some reason. Lots of info on how various chefs work, create, motivate. Much on flavor development and combinations, some of which I don't buy--but that's fine, as it is further provocative because of this. Some recipes included as well, as examples. Worth the read.

Jarrod
Hi, I understand the way you are going, I have been and am still travelling along that path. The most important aspect of this is you and your own creativity and ability, There are many books that will provide you with snippets of information to help guide you, there is countless information on the web that you can search through and of course there is the TVWBB forum which is a great resource. There is no one document that gives you all the information. The info that is available is written by people that have spoken from their experience and their developed style. I am sure that Kevin will agree that it is all about developing your own style. I gave a great deal of thought into the styles and types of cooking that I wanted to develop for myself. You may notice that I don't talk much about smoking on this forum as it is only on the periphery of my style. My styles are more about fusion of Asian and Grilling, Australian and Fresh Produce, Roasting, and of course Seafood. Whilst I do drift and do many other recipes, I do spend most of my time on the core plan.

You need to develop a broad knowledge base on what each herb and spice tastes like and what flavours that you think go together an example of this is I was grilling a couple of fresh fish fillets that I had caught that morning and sprinkled them with some fresh rosemary and then squeezed fresh lemon over them as they were cooking, the taste was sensational, however I knew what the combination would be like and was not disappointed, it is all about spending time with your craft.

Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am sure that Kevin will agree that it is all about developing your own style. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The most important aspect of this is you and your own creativity and ability </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True enough but im still learning the essentials so this will have to come a little later. Im like a builder constructing a new home, I know all the materials i need for a decent frame and foundation, now im looking for that choice marble (snippet of knowledge) to go on the kitchen countertop. My creativity could be likened to my architecture skills, not every house is the same splendor, but its a combination of architecture and materials that ultimately builds that house of beauty. Even the greatest architect in the world cant go very far if he has straw to work with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You need to develop a broad knowledge base on what each herb and spice tastes like and what flavours that you think go together </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What i find interesting is that from most peoples perspectives the design aspect of cooking is obscure and elusive. In home design there are given rules, there are lines you follow, symmetry you create, balance and scale, color theory and implementation...everything man beholds and finds beautiful has elements of these rules, the average person doesnt recognize the "rules of design" yet that doesnt mean they cease to exist. Stray from those rules and what you create will be distasteful.

Likewise, cooking is similar only you use your tongue as a judge instead of your eyes. And like construction some materials work together and some dont, but the success of your palate is not just random occurence or personal opinion.

Not to be long winded but as an example i recently studied taste buds and it was enlightening to find out how much a role (surprise surprise) they play in ones ability to taste....to taste well, or not to taste at all. This is a good example of how important it is to realize where your "base" is and how it may effect the way you create your food. (this "new" knowledge could now symbolize quality silicone ill use to keep my houses tub from leaking...)Its my theory that the more able you are to do this, the easier it will be to develop an "authentic" style that may be personalized, but is founded first on knowledge, and then on creativity.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ...i recently studied taste buds and it was enlightening to find out how much a role (surprise surprise) they play in ones ability to taste....to taste well, or not to taste at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And just as important is your sense of smell. That sense plays a huge role in how we 'taste' food. Remember the old blindfolded taste test of a pear with an apple slice under your nose?

Paul

They may not be popular with some, but Cooks Illustrated publications I find, are very resourceful. I like how they break down their approach to a recipe, do some real research, ask some good questions of people who have a food science background etc.

I like nearly all their recipes I try. Even better though, I find that once I have done a recipe from one of their books or magazines, I can then go and tweak a few seasonings/flavorings to suit my palate.

The one criticism I have is that they cook to a democracy. According to them, if their tasting panel likes it, then were supposed to like it.

For instance, what they might like in a chocolate chip cookie, might be something I'd avoid, or vice versa.

Yes, I'm one for whom CI has lost it's luster. I was a subscriber at the beginning--actually before the beginning, when it was called Cook's, before it folded and Chris Kimball ressurected it as the ad-free CI. I've complained of their editorial sloppiness for years, and their often homogenized recipes (they can work fine but, imo, too many lack verve) and when I found myself repeatedly cursing the mag as I read (out loud!) I finally pulled the plug.

I do think they can be well worth it if you can keep an open mind and are not annoyed by their editorial choices. There is often very good info there.

Yes, smell everything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What i find interesting is that from most peoples perspectives the design aspect of cooking is obscure and elusive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's because most people do not have the skills to think of it as not obscure and not elusive, just as those who do not have home design skills would have a hard time with that as well. Increase your skills in either area and you can increase your knowledge. Do that and creating a recipe--or designing a home--no longer daunts or eludes.

Not so much General Reference,

But if you like Italian cooking - you may enjoy "The Classic Italian Cookbook", by Marcella Hazan.

It covers tools & techniques, with some very interesting insights. Everything from soups to desserts.

Also, "The Way to Cook" by Julia Child has been an excellent reference, although a but "traditional". If you're trying how to do something new for the first time - this one will almost never steer you wrong.

If you like bread & rolls - you will find the "Beard on Bread" series by James Beard to be both useful & enjoyable to read.

Hope these help

Well, as far as stretching one's abilities, I have benefitted greatly from "The Food and Life of Oaxaca: Traditional Recipes From the Heart on Mexico" by Zarela Martinez . The recipes are quite earthy and complex and you will learn alot about the "real" cuisine of Mexico just in researching and searching out some of the ingredients such as the elusive Chilhuacle Negro and Pasilla de Oaxaca chiles, as well as huitlacoche (a fungus likened to truffles which is called "corn smut" in the US.) Try spending 10 hours making a mole negro sometime! Rick Bayless has several good Mexican Books as well. I also will always hearken back to the first cookbook I was given. "The Joy of Cooking". It was a wedding present.

I love Martinez's book, and those from Bayless as well. Also the books of Diana Kennedy.

I make various moles several times a year. It is a long process, for many, but the results are worth it and it freezes well. (I get both those chilies from here, btw, if you're interested and unfamiliar with them.)

Both Child's and Hazan's books are great (as are her husband's). Both write with a helpful voice and much about technique can be learned from them. Beard's bagel recipe has been my go-to since the early 70s, iirc, when the series came out.

Get 'em all!
icon_smile.gif

General:
"The Professional Chef" (Culinary Institute of America)
"On Food and Cooking" (Harold McGee)
"Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor" (Herve This and Malcolm DeBevoise)
"The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook" (Julee Rosso, Sheila Lukins, and Sarah Leah Chase)
"Culinary Artistry" (Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page)
"Cooks Illustrated" (various publications)
"The Way to Cook" (Julia Child)

Foreign:
"The cooking of the Easter Mediterranean, Couscous and other Good Food from Morocco and the Cooking of Southwest France" (Paula Wolfert)
"Classic Indian Cooking" (Julie Sahni)
"The Classic Italian Cookbook" (Marcella Hazan)
"The Food and Life of Oaxaca: Traditional Recipes From the Heart on Mexico (Zarela Martinez)
"Essential Cuisines of Mexico" (Diana Kennedy)

Vegetables:
"A Produce Guide to Fruits and Vegetables from Around the World
"Natures Harvest" (Donald Heaton)
"Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini: The essential Reference" (Elizabeth Schneider)

Sauces:
"Sauces; Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making" (James Peterson)

Meats:
"Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" (Rytek Kutas)
"Charcuterie; The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" (Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn)

Desserts:
"Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts" (Maida Heatter)
"The Cake Bible" (Rose Levy Beranbaum)

Baking:
"Beard and Bread" (James Beard)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I love Martinez's book, and those from Bayless as well. Also the books of Diana Kennedy.

I make various moles several times a year. It is a long process, for many, but the results are worth it and it freezes well. (I get both those chilies from here, btw, if you're interested and unfamiliar with them.)

Both Child's and Hazan's books are great (as are her husband's). Both write with a helpful voice and much about technique can be learned from them. Beard's bagel recipe has been my go-to since the early 70s, iirc, when the series came out.

Get 'em all!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, I get those chiles from Pendery's out of Ft Worth. They have a great selection of dried chiles as well as both powdered chiles and Chili powders. There is a great simple salsa of onion, tomato, and pasilla de oaxaca in that Martinez book that is fantastic!

out of 677 books my library has 2 out of the 20 listed on the above list. "How to Cook" and "The Way to Cook".

both are checked out.
icon_mad.gif

I was looking on Egullet and 2 books that get high marks are McGhees On Food and Bittmans How To Cook Everything.
Any opinions on Bittmans book?

Paul

Back