Sorry

Bottom line, it would be nice to see Weber and their innovation here actually succeed. Even if I never buy one (though you never say never). I like seeing the innovation, and you know other companies watch that as well. If the innovations succeed we likely see this tech trickle down to other products.
Think back (if you remember that far back) to when Weber first introduced the Genesis. It introduced some VERY controversial tech at the time. First the burner arrangement. IMO that was and still is the absolute best thing they ever did. As it made one grill behave like multiple grills. It became something that could do ALL things REALLY well rather than some things well and some ehhh not so much. Another was the Flavorizer Bar. In a time where every gas grill used lava rock, or some type of stones. They had the audacity to use STEEL over the burners to vaporize drippings rather than collect them so they became rancid or fire bombs.
Now look at nearly EVERY gas grill made. They NEARLY ALL use this type of system. I call that industry innovation.
So now, maybe Weber takes it on the chin a little with SmokeFire. (and they apparently did to a point). So it was back to the drawing board to refine the idea not throw the baby out with the bath water.
I am REALLY hoping they hit this out of the park. Who knows? If they do, we may some of that innovation come to the rest of the industry. And maybe even in the form of aftermarket accessories and parts and so on.
Even if you NEVER want one (pellet grill), or don't want to stretch the bank account for one. You gotta root for them on this endeavor.

Bottom line, it would be nice to see Weber and their innovation here actually succeed. Even if I never buy one (though you never say never). I like seeing the innovation, and you know other companies watch that as well. If the innovations succeed we likely see this tech trickle down to other products.
Think back (if you remember that far back) to when Weber first introduced the Genesis. It introduced some VERY controversial tech at the time. First the burner arrangement. IMO that was and still is the absolute best thing they ever did. As it made one grill behave like multiple grills. It became something that could do ALL things REALLY well rather than some things well and some ehhh not so much. Another was the Flavorizer Bar. In a time where every gas grill used lava rock, or some type of stones. They had the audacity to use STEEL over the burners to vaporize drippings rather than collect them so they became rancid or fire bombs.
Now look at nearly EVERY gas grill made. They NEARLY ALL use this type of system. I call that industry innovation.
So now, maybe Weber takes it on the chin a little with SmokeFire. (and they apparently did to a point). So it was back to the drawing board to refine the idea not throw the baby out with the bath water.
I am REALLY hoping they hit this out of the park. Who knows? If they do, we may some of that innovation come to the rest of the industry. And maybe even in the form of aftermarket accessories and parts and so on.
Even if you NEVER want one (pellet grill), or don't want to stretch the bank account for one. You gotta root for them on this endeavor.
Those fire bomb lava rocks were kinda great though. I had a friend a few years ago (before I started restoring them) would not buy a gas grill until he found one that used lava rocks. They simply were not even available any more. I now know that you can retrofit them or buy a Broilmaster if you really want them. Lava rocks held a lot of flavor but people did not clean or replace them when needed. A lot of people for some reason just don't like mucking around in dirty grills;-) I cleaned up my old Sunbeam every year and supplemented and / or replaced the lava rocks as needed. That Sunbeam lasted over 20 years.

Those fire bomb lava rocks were kinda great though. I had a friend a few years ago (before I started restoring them) would not buy a gas grill until he found one that used lava rocks. They simply were not even available any more. I now know that you can retrofit them or buy a Broilmaster if you really want them. Lava rocks held a lot of flavor but people did not clean or replace them when needed. A lot of people for some reason just don't like mucking around in dirty grills;-) I cleaned up my old Sunbeam every year and supplemented and / or replaced the lava rocks as needed. That Sunbeam lasted over 20 years.
Yeah my Broilmaster P3 uses ceramic briquettes. It works fine but I think the Weber flavorizer design is superior in terms of overall cooking, flavor and maintenance. To this day I have not seen where any grease goes on the Broilmaster. I ditched the little cup catcher from the get go. The briquettes vaporize everything that drips down which is likely why they don't last all that long compared to say, SS flavorizers. It's not like you can just flip them over and let the burners self clean them either.

Yeah my Broilmaster P3 uses ceramic briquettes. It works fine but I think the Weber flavorizer design is superior in terms of overall cooking, flavor and maintenance. To this day I have not seen where any grease goes on the Broilmaster. I ditched the little cup catcher from the get go. The briquettes vaporize everything that drips down which is likely why they don't last all that long compared to say, SS flavorizers. It's not like you can just flip them over and let the burners self clean them either.
Yes, but since no grease ever hits the cup (well maybe some would if you did a pork butt or brisket without a drip pan;-)) you know it is vaporizing and turning into smoke flavor, just a lot more than ones with flavorizers. I did manually flip the ceramic ones over every couple of months, but there are some high end grills that have them sandwiched between bars or sort of in cages that allow you to quick flip them all at once.

Yes, but since no grease ever hits the cup (well maybe some would if you did a pork butt or brisket without a drip pan;-)) you know it is vaporizing and turning into smoke flavor, just a lot more than ones with flavorizers. I did manually flip the ceramic ones over every couple of months, but there are some high end grills that have them sandwiched between bars or sort of in cages that allow you to quick flip them all at once.
I'm only saying I don't flip them because I have the actual Broilmaster brand ones and they are rounded over like a charcoal briquette on the top but but cupped on the bottom. I think flipping them cup side up could be problematic.

Back