Embedding Heatermeter on Dakboard

HansvanHorne

Hi all,

I have a dakboard running here at home (dakboard.com), and was planning to add a window/block inside it which is embedding the heatermeter local website. The way it works is that you define a certain area in this dakboard, and then you refer to the website you want to embed.
Turns out that does not work for websites hosted inside a local network, see below snippet from Dakboard help (in italic):

DAKboard contains functionality to embed HTTPS websites into an iframe that permits embedding. This must be hosted so that it can be accessed via the internet and will not work within a local network. This will allow you to connect content to other sources and diversify your screen.

So now I am trying to figure out what to do to make it work. I already enabled port forwarding, and can access heatermeter via the www, but when I fill in my public IP address or public IP address with port number in the DAKboard iframe, it still does not work.

I am a complete noob when it comes to all of this, so took me a while even to get to this point. I would like to ask for help in getting this done. Does anyone have experience with heatermeter and DAKboard? Or perhaps some suggestions to make this work. I was thinking to somehow generate a public website based on the ported localhost but have no idea how to make that work.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

I think I understand what the problem is. I also inquired with DAKboard, and they answered me the following:
I am sorry to hear you are having trouble. We found that you have HTTPS enabled on your site but the security cert has expired. Because of this, our system will not be able to embed this page. You will need to update your security certificate for this site first. Try that and see if it resolves the issue. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

I have found the following post Sprinkle some security on your internet facing HeaterMeter and executed the instructions given there. Looks like that together with setting up a (free) hostname on noip should solve it.

However, when I load the website using the hostname, I still get a warning that it is not secure. So I must have done something wrong. Is there a way to check whether I did something wrong with respect to hm-letsencrypt script or the noip.com host? Or perhaps I have done something else wrong?

Thanks

I solved it by finding a different solution. I exit from DAKboard using alt+F4 on the pi hosting dakboard, and then open the heatermeter page via chromium browser.

Back