Butchering Weekend: Pictures of a Slaughtered Animal *****

I am curious about the ageing of the beef. I had heard that all beef needs to age to some degree, and was just wondering if there is a set temp that the cooler is at. Is the humidity controlled ? I know very little about that aspect of ageing.

I also think its important that people see where the food they eat comes from. With deer hunting we do send most of our deer in for processing as it is just easier and less time consuming that way, but many, many years we have butchered our own deer. I have always wanted my kids to appreciate where the meat they eat comes from, and the work that goes into it.

Enjoy !!

I've killed, skinned, gutted and processed enough deer in my life that your pics don't bother me at all. In fact, I think they're cool. That animal is large! What breed is it? When I first looked I thought it was Holstein but I'm a bit color blind so those dark spots may have been brown. :) And for those of you who think "egads, eating a dairy steer" it's the most tender meat I've ever eaten.
It is a Holstein. When we first started raising our own beef we used Short Horn. A friend of my fathers told him to try Holstein, it's the best home beef, so we did. After trying an Angus we went back to the Holstein and never looked back.

I am curious about the ageing of the beef. I had heard that all beef needs to age to some degree, and was just wondering if there is a set temp that the cooler is at. Is the humidity controlled ? I know very little about that aspect of ageing....
Enjoy !!
Beef is normally aged from 3 to 6 weeks. After trying several different times we found that 3 weeks is plenty of time. You get great flavor and going longer only causes the meat to loose more moisture and shrink. We age in a walk-in cooler for 3 weeks at 34*. The refrigeration system removes the humidity.
For us it is a fun "family" event, though it is a lot of work. For us, enjoyable work. We have a good time cutting up with each other through the process.

I appreciate all the interest and am glad to share!:D

and am glad to share
Jeff, i'd very much appreciate a sample of a decent cut from that cow.... JUST to be sure it's safe to consume.......
i'll send you my address.... please see what you can do ;)

Thanks for the interesting post, Jeff. I'd love to see pictures of the breakdown into various cuts.

In mid-April I'm going down to my buddy's place in Ozark MO where they'll be taking a 70-80 lb. pig from slaughter to plate over a day or two. I'll be sure to take and post plenty of pictures.

Jeff, i'd very much appreciate a sample of a decent cut from that cow.... JUST to be sure it's safe to consume.......
i'll send you my address.... please see what you can do ;)
I'll see what I can do Jim.;)

Thanks for the interesting post, Jeff. I'd love to see pictures of the breakdown into various cuts.

In mid-April I'm going down to my buddy's place in Ozark MO where they'll be taking a 70-80 lb. pig from slaughter to plate over a day or two. I'll be sure to take and post plenty of pictures.
We do pigs too. A much easier job. We slaughter one day, hang in the cooler overnight to firm the meat and then butcher.

I think the post title is sufficiently clear to those who may want to avoid the topic. Personally, I think it's good to see where meat really comes from.

Now, your little brother is a completely different story...I'm worried about him... ;)
Great post Jeff. It's always good for us city-folk to get this sort of education. Thanks!

Jeff, quite a number of years ago my wife and I tasted Holstein that was penned and corn fed. It was great meat. We had the opportunity to buy a half a beef for 2-3 years which we did. Man it was great. Then we moved and I have never heard of anyone doing that since. Back then I was cooking on a gaser and never heard of brisket nor was I cooking beef ribs. Gotta wonder how good that would be considering what I remember:)

Take lots of pictures Chad, I'd love to see how you all go about it and the pictures are fun to look at later.

We must be barbarians where I live. It's quite normal for my local school to take field trips during autumn, to see how moose is slaughtered after it has been shot. This applies only to the oldest pupils, the twelve year olds.
I think it is a lesson all should have.
I remember reading on Facebook a time ago where someone wrote something like this; "I do not understand why they have to kill all those cuddly and sweet animals, just on order to eat them. Like, why can't they just buy their meat in the supermarket like the rest of us?"
I'm nut sure if it was a joke or not.

I would love to have access to a cow like that. It is great to work with your food on such an early stage, and to make cuts on your own.
Geir, you all are not barbarians, more like some of the few practical people left out there.

Let me say once again thank you to Chris for Letting me post this and thank you to all of you that enjoyed this thread. This is a family event that I look forward to each year. The experience of it all is as good as the fresh meat.

Brings back memories of helping my grandfather slaughter/butcher pigs he raised each year. Chickens too and a full garden to go along with it.
Man, would I love to have those days back again with the appreciation I have now...

My parents raise a large garden too. We butcher the cow and then start to get ready for the garden. We can green beans, tomato juice, whole tomatoes. We freeze broccoli, corn and Lima beans. They plant enough potatoes for 1/2 the county. Don't forget the cabbage, asparagus and watermelons. My dad grew mushrooms for a couple of years(hey...hey...not those kind!).

I love spending weekends there when I have the time. There are many a night when we cook supper and everything on our plate came off the farm. I should mention they also have chickens. We don't eat them but I haven't bought an egg in years! My mother threatens to eat them all the time when they get out of their pen and scratch up her flower beds.:D

Great post...everyone needs to know where their food comes from. I live next (not like city next) to a 1800 head dairy farm in Wisconsin. Spring is coming and the babies will be here soon. Its my favorite time of year to see them all outside and watching them grow over summer. Farming is a dying way of life and we need to pay attention what is happening to our food.
Buy local if you can!

Jeff, quite a number of years ago my wife and I tasted Holstein that was penned and corn fed. It was great meat. We had the opportunity to buy a half a beef for 2-3 years which we did. Man it was great. Then we moved and I have never heard of anyone doing that since. Back then I was cooking on a gaser and never heard of brisket nor was I cooking beef ribs. Gotta wonder how good that would be considering what I remember:)

Gary, is three hours too far to drive? I know lots of people who I could get you in touch with.

Back