smoked pork steaks tips?

Ryan Burger

TVWBB Member
Hello fellow smokers. I'm smoking pork steaks tomorrow. ...looking for tips on taking them to the next level. I use butt rub with hickory. I keep the steaks on for about 4 hours trying to keep it between 180 and 200....found this best keeping the moisture. I'll finish them with Big Bob Gibson red sauce. Has anyone tried using honey or brown sugar like when making ribs? All suggestions welcome. I'm very happy with they way they turn out but I know you guys have more secrets.

Thanks
RB

I LIKE pork steaks. I prefer 1/2" or 3/4" thick steaks. I use GFS Salmon rub on both sides after oiling with EVOO. I cook them direct on my Performer on a VERY hot fire. I flip them every minute until they are browned to my liking. They end up tender and moist with a great crust (the GFS rub helps a BUNCH).

I use a couple of firebricks and dump a full chimney of lit behind the bricks. This raises the coals up towards the grate and increases the heat to HOT:

That's not exactly the answer you were expecting but you might want to try it...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I cook them to 160 internal, foil them till they are probe tender, then put them on direct for a few minutes and sauce if I feel like it. Bob Correll and Jim Lampe are the pork steak masters, wait for their advice they will steer you in the right direction!

Ryan, contrary to what John said, I'm not a master at anything.... Including pork steaks.
I do, however, love toying with new ideas on how to cook them...

just yesterday, I cooked two pork steaks for about 60 to 80 minutes completely indirect with a temp of about 325ºF.
I prefer steaks cut at least 1 inch.

I also have brined pork steaks in a simple water (4 cups) /sugar (2 TBS) /salt (2TBS) anywhere from 2 to 24 hours.
Marinating in Wicker's is also a favourite...

slow cooking them like you mentioned... (4 hours trying to keep it between 180 and 200)
...is great also, but sometimes the length of the cook is just not affordable.

Good luck with your Pork Steak Adventures! <('@')>

Has anyone tried using honey or brown sugar like when making ribs?

Pork is pork...kind of. Obviously kind of a generalization. But seasonings, spices, and flavors that work on ribs or a butt would do well on a pork steak. What flavors are you looking for? While I enjoy the sweetness on a rack of ribs, on a steak I prefer savory. As a suggestion, next time you make them buy an extra and try what you want. You might like it...or the dog may get lucky!

Back