Throwdown #15: Pork Spareribs

So After trying diff versions of 3-2-1 , 5-6 hour low an slow ... No foil... Just haven't been quite satisfied with my cooks on the wsm the past year... Yea they were good, but just never the right profile I was looking for .... 3-2-1 was fall off the bone tender,and which most my friends loved .. But I was never happy with the the the texture of the meat and lack of char or crust on the outside ..nor the amount of sauce slathered on .... The 5-6 hour low an slow just seemed a little to dry no matter how much I spritzed ....so I went back to the way I used to cook on my kettle ..... Put 2. Racks of ribs with a salt ,pepper garlic,and cummin rub on the smoke at 275 on lump mesquite with a little kings comp ... The temps drifted to 300-325 most of the cook which took 3 hours ...At 1-1/2 hours in I started stacking and rotating the position every 15-20 min until I pulled them .. No need for spritzing as they were self basting... No pics of fancy plates nor sides ...they were cut and eaten as soon as I was done cutting .... Ribs ...No Fannn-cy Forks needed....just pig!!
null_zpsd9b3be73.jpg

null_zps7cb547de.jpg
null_zps720067b0.jpg
null_zps8123667e.jpg

An Ultimate Rib Sandwich with a Sweet Pickle n Mango Relish and Homemade Bread

I do love me some straight up ribs, but decided that I would add a little twist to my entry.

For this entry, I went with a dry rub of Brown Sugar, Salt and some Steak Seasoning.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

And on the heat it goes.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Once I hit the temp I needed, I set the Guard Dog loose and waited.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

With the ribs being watched religiously, it gave us time to work on some homemade bread in some CI (Cast Iron) Loaf Pans and a Sweet Pickle Relish.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

I think the relish still needs some fruit. Pork is always better with fruit. How about Mango!

Things are definitely look'n good.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

I started with a great rack of ribs and pulled all the bones.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

And when I put it all together, this is what came out. An Ultimate Rib Sandwich with a Sweet Pickle n Mango Relish and of course Homemade Bread. Although it was good enough to eat myself, I did have to share. So we cut it up and had a great meal.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Tony and Maribel apple smoked Ribs

This Labor Day we did ribs. Seasoned with tasty licks rub ( Thank you Bob Correll )
Smoked with apple wood @ 250

1378175301.jpg

About 2.5 hours they were ready to be wrapped.

1378175304.jpg

I got some sriracha, butter, brown sugar and a splash of apple juice. They were in the foil for about 1 hour and 30 min

1378175311.jpg

Ready to unwrap with my new gloves. (Thank you Bob )

photo1-1.jpg

After I unwrapped. Left them alone for 30-45 min. I can't remember. :confused:

photo3-1.jpg

Added the BBQ sauce and let it be happy for 15 min.

photo4-1.jpg

Maribel made a delicious cole slaw.

photo2-1.jpg

Plated with the BBQ sauce we used. This was gift from my wife's friend.

1378177401.jpg

Plated with a smoked potato that was under the Ribs for 1 hour then foiled

1378177399.jpg

Thank you for your time in reading this post.

Tony and Maribel

Ok, lets give this a try!

Didn't sleep the previous night until 4:00am thanks to this forum. Rise and shine, 10am! Brushed my teeth, put on some shorts and the thinnest shirt I could find; because the forecast today, I think about 92 degrees. Lets just say 98, since that's what it's going to feel like!

Got everything set up and ready to go. I even put up an umbrella to keep the scorching sun off my back! The only heat I'll need today is the one rising from the dampers.
JQ0oLmjh.jpg

Just about ready for the 5-hour smoke session. Minion method ready-set-go. Loaded with apple and cherry chunks. Added more chunks every 2 hours.
hpn6M2D.jpg

Pulled out two slabs from the fridge and applied an ancho chili, thyme and sugar rub. One slab was fully coated with it. The second slab was a lower dosage of the ancho chili rub mixed with generic memphis bbq rub. Pic only shows one slab, the other was already in the smoker.
2nDurd7.jpg

Slow and steady at 225 throughout the entire cook.
lk7RP43h.jpg

Os0Mfe3.jpg

Did the 3-2-1 method, but didn't get a chance to take pictures. After 3 hours, I basted it with Rays BBQ sauce then foiled it and smoked for another 2 hours. Unfoiled for the last hour, and loaded up a small spray bottle with Crystal Light Orange and sprayed the ribs every 15 minutes until the 1 hour was up.
jyD0aXah.jpg

Saying a prayer before I cut into this delicious rib.
Paq1XkY.jpg

Dinner is SERVED!
7xuJst5.jpg

XVm3bf1.jpg

Girlfriend tested and approved.
pRlkzOJ.jpg

Last edited:
Hatch Chile Jam spareribs and sides

Step one: Rub the ribs with wet mustard and a blend of Southwestern spices which include chile de arbol, aji amarillo, NM Red, cayenne, cumin, coriander, garlic, oregano, onion, salt and black pepper and pop them in the fridge overnight.

Onto the smoker with 2 chunks of apple

Step two: Make the jam

The ingredients are 15 NM hatch chiles that are roasted, peeled and then chopped, 2 lemons quartered and half a cup of apple cider vinegar.

Let that simmer for 30 minutes, remove the lemons and squeeze out all the remaining juice and add 3 cups of sugar (photo not shown - blast you 10 photo rule!)

Step three: Make some beans with some bacon ends, jalapenos, red onion, bell pepper and brown sugar

before they go on the smoker, coat the ribs with jam and let them go uncovered for another hour - Total rib cooking time was about 6 hours until the bend test says they are done. I didn't use any foil. Oh and the ribs were hit with apple cider vinegar at about the 4 hour mark (photo not shown!)

Ribs are off and wrapped and put in a cooler and the beans go onto the smoker

Step four: Time to make the jalapeno cheddar corn bread

and onto the smoker - I raised the temp to about 350 to cook the beans and corn bread. the beans are down there somewhere hiding and getting happy

And finished. The Chile jam gave these ribs a nice sweet heat and the ribs were cooked perfectly. This was one of my best rib cooks ever. The beans were smokey, sweet and delicious and the corn bread was just right.

Thanks for looking!!

Last edited:
10 entries...only 4 days left to post your entry. Remember, the winner gets a $25 Amazon gift card. Post your spareribs today!

St. Louie Ribs wrapped in bacon

Time for my entry. I took two racks of St. Louie spare ribs and cut them in half. I applied the rub to each side of the ribs and then I stacked them on top of each other with a slice a bacon in between each rack. I then formed some what of a bacon weave and wrapped all four racks in bacon and then wrapped them in plastic wrap and heavy duty foil and put them in the fridge as I prepared the WSM.

I prepared the WSM using the minion method with enough fuel to burn at 325 - 350 for 3 hours. Truth be told I probably over fueled the fire, but better too much fuel than not enough. I added 4 chunks of hickory for the smoke. The plan is to put the ribs on wrapped in foil and plastic wrap for an hour at 325. After the first hour I take off the foil and plastic with the assumption that the plastic did not melt.

After the WSM hit temp I put the wrapped ribs on. Here is a picture after the first hour of the cook.

What a relief....the plastic did not melt. I took the ribs out of the foil and plastic and put them back on the WSM for two more hours. Again temp is pretty high as I want it running about 330.

With the ribs back on I start grilling the taters on the 3 legger for the tater salad. These tater have been boiled and tossed on mayo and seasoning.

The unwrapped ribs have been on the WSM for 1.5 hours, so I fire up the performer. Once the ribs have been on the WSM for a total of 3 hours I'm going to take them out of the bacon and grill them on the performer with medium heat. I will grill them for about an hour or until they pass the tooth pick test. I have a basted made up and I will baste and turn the ribs every 5 minutes.

Here is a picture of the ribs on the WSM unwrapped for two hours.

I left the bacon on the WSM to crispen up.

Here is a picture of the ribs on the performer just after I basted them.

Again, the plan is to direct cook, basting and flipping every 5 minutes. Here is a picture with the ribs near completion.

With the ribs nearing completion it's time to put the corn on the 3 legger.

It's a good thing that the grills are so close to each other, I'm a busy man at this point. Bast...flip...beer...turn corn...beer...bast...flip...etc....etc

Corn is done....ribs are done.

Honestly, the best ribs that I have made yet. The bacon really helped absorb the smoke. After I cut the ribs I rolled them in home made bbq sauce and plated. I will let the next two pictures speak for themselves. Thank you all for looking.

Interesting. I wonder what it would be like if you did this in reverse. kind of like a pork rib fatty maybe???

We'll run this one through Sunday, September 8. That gives you Labor Day weekend to get your ribs cooked and photographed!
[/URL].[/B]
Entries must be in by midnight this Sunday, Sept 8th. Correct? I won't have time to smoke and post before then. Just checking...

Bourbon rubbed ribs with baked beans in a bread bowl, straws fries, with fried grits & pickles.

Nothing like ribs, just nothing in the BBQ world beats them in my opinion. My family, and I, like them just before the fall off the bone stage, even a little bit falling off is good. My rib cook is, like most of you accompanied by traditional sides of baked beans, but I made bread bowls to serve them in. I made the potato fries sliced very thin on my mandolin so that they are what is called straws, so much flavor in each one with a crunchy bite. Being a southern boy by birth, I love grits, but this time I made in a way not normally done. I made the grits, then poured them into a pan to refrigerate overnight and then sliced them less than little finger thin, dipped in egg, floured and fried…….ah, finger food out of grits. With the small mix I also fried up a few dill pickles. I only made a small batch of each, mainly to add a different crisp and taste mixture to the dish. I highly recommend the pickles as the acidity of them make for a wonderful explosion in the mouth eating BBQ.

For my ribs I tried a few new techniques to add deeper flavor. I cross cut the rubs just a bit so that the rub could more deeply absorb into the meat. First I lightly salted the ribs as I want that next to the meat, then crosscut (hopefully it shows in the picture) and then wet the ribs with Makers Mark, rubbing it into the cuts, and then applied my rub. These were wrapped and placed in the fridge overnight to meld the flavors.

ribcontest013_zps0bbb2df1.jpg
[/IMG]

For my baked beans I cut bell peppers, onions, and jalapeno’s and sweated them in the skillet before adding the beans. To this I added additional flavors such as brown sugar, worchestershire, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dry mustard, and BBQ sauce. This was placed on the grill in an iron skillet to add some smokey flavor. After the cuttings off of the ribs were done, some of this was cut up and then added to the beans to take the taste up to the next level, that only us BBQ’ers can do. These were served in the biscuit bowls. The biscuit bowls are simply made by placed a round of dough over the bottom of a greased muffin pan, cooked for 5-6 minutes and then slide them off the pan, turn over and spoon the beans into the bowl. Great way to plate…..eat the bowl with the beans.

ribcontest020_zpsf07db181.jpg
[/IMG]

Side piece of the slab cut up and put into the beans, then stirred up. Add great flavor to the bean pot.

ribcontest032_zpsacc0cabd.jpg
[/IMG]

ribcontest047_zpse9974660.jpg
[/IMG]

At the three hours mark, I pulled the ribs to foil them with the usual mix of brown sugar, butter, and tiger sauce. Instead of adding a liquid such as apple juice, I opted for more Maker’s Mark. Heck, the alcohol burns off, right??? Hopefully not! I usually only foil for about 90 minutes rather than the usual two hours, just seems to work better for me as I cook in the 250-275 zone. Here’s a picture at the 3 hour mark.

ribcontest024_zpsbccc5231.jpg
[/IMG]

ribcontest037_zps854e98e6.jpg
[/IMG]

When I unwrap the ribs for the final glaze cook, I poured the juices from the foil back into the bean pot.....adding even more flavor.

A couple of weeks I posted a hamburger thread in the photo gallery and had several requests regarding the potato straws that I did. They are so good that my son, who came to eat, requested them so had no choice but to cook them despite the fact I already was planning on the fried grits and pickles. Anyway,, out came the mandolin and with it a pile of potato to soak for several hours to cleanse them of starch for better frying, which I once again did outside on the Weber Genesis burner. Here's a pic of the fries cooking on the Genesis and the smoker finishing up the ribs and beans.

ribcontest055_zps4975fa66.jpg
[/IMG]

ribcontest059_zps6896dddd.jpg
[/IMG]

Plated up with ribs, beans in a bowl, fires, with fried grits and pickle......and something to wash it down with.

ribcontest067_zps46ffca8b.jpg
[/IMG]

And of course, a final shot of the star of the show. Crosscutting the rubs allowed all of the flavors to absorb deeper into the ribs......I will continue to do them this way as the eaters all expressed a more powerful flavor of this set of ribs..........thanks for viewing.......

ribcontest051_zpsa1a01b21.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Some very good choices here. Was hoping to get in on this round, but haven't had the time. Maybe I will get a chance pick up a slab today and get them on the Performer, but at this point I don't think it'll happen.

Here goes:

Ribs rubbed up with some Memphis Dust and starting out on the WSM:
a_zps8add8999.jpg

Skillet Corn Bread with Creamed Corn ready to bake:
b_zps506310b8.jpg

Corn Bread finished:
e_zpsaf955637.jpg

After 3 hours at 225 - 240 ribs were foiled with Apple Juice, squeeze butter, and Agave Syrup,
and back on for 2 hours. Out of foil for 45 minutes with a coating of Jack Daniels sauce,
you can barely make out handle of bean pot on lower grate:
g_zps1f7da247.jpg

Sitting pretty and ready for the 'Chow Down', with a grilled peach:
1_zpsd253e5ea.jpg

Close up of the plate:
96995565-a4ae-40a9-a009-6855622e355f_zpse02c36b0.jpg

Good luck to all, there are some great looking entries already, and I look forward to
seeing some more before it's over.

Last edited:

Back