18.5" or 22.5" WSM

I picked up the 18.5 inch Saturday and broke it in Sunday with pork ribs,eggs and bacon wrapped peppers.

I've had both, the 22 and 18 WSM. I found the 22 used way more fuel for the small amount I cooked at one time.
This was an eight pound butt and used about 12-14 lbs. of briquettes to cook. It looks pretty lonely in that big cooker.
IMG_0302_zpsd24fb103.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
So does this brisket. Another 14 pounder

I cook briskets up to 14 lbs. and just shoehorn them in between the handles on the 18.5 until the meat shrinks up a bit. 12lbs works fine, some here say they have cooked 16 pounders.

This is a 14 pounder on the 18.5

As far as ribs go, coiling them is no great deal in fact they make quite an impression when you pull them out of the smoker for company.

If you are doing 3-2-1 simply cut them in half and foil. Once in foil they can go back any way you want on the two racks. I can do eight racks in the 18.5. I did 11 racks on the nephews 22.5 a couple of weeks ago.

It's all about the capacity, they are both excellent at what they do but fuel consumption for me was an issue cooking single items or small amounts.

Last edited:
After seeing those pics I'm definitely going to go with the 18.5" WSM. Looks like I'll always have enough room for what I'm going to cook and I really don't want to drop a full bag of charcoal to smoke a single pork butt. Now can anyone give me some advice on how to get the wires from my ET 732 through the grill? Top grate? Bottom door? Drill something myself?

I don't usually use a digital thermometer to monitor my cooker temperature. I have an 08 model and just use a taylor dial candy thermometer in one of the vent holes. I may be in the minority here, but it has served me well without a bunch of screwing around with wires/probes etc. I've got an ET-732 and for the most part it stays in the box. I'm going to do cook #2 7lb pork butts tonight. I'll start them around 10 and have the cooker stabilized by midnight or so. I'll get up around 7:30 or 8 and service the fire for the first time at that point. I've done a lot of overnight cooks and have never had a run away fire or fire go out on me. With a little practice you can dial in the temperature you want fairly accurately. That's one of the many beautiful things about a WSM.

Beau, actually the new ones should have a rubber grommet in the midsection to put your probes through. If you are buying locally, maybe check to see if they have the new model. Weber stated most stores should have them.

Last edited:
Picked up my 18.5" WSM today. Going to put it together tonight and start my first smoke on it early Saturday morning. Thinking of either doing a brisket or a few venison tenderloins (that I would transfer to a crock pot after chipping it... it works) and a few chickens plus chicken wings. can't wait!

Hey Beau, glad you bought your WSM. Briskets can be a little challenging first time out so good luck with that.

Hey Beau, glad you bought your WSM. Briskets can be a little challenging first time out so good luck with that.

I have heard as much but there's only one way to learn :). I was terrified of pork butt until I gave it a try on the kettle as well. I'm still contemplating switching the brisket out for another butt or possibly even a beef roast just to use a cheaper cut of meat on my first go around, though i have been craving brisket lately.

I have heard as much but there's only one way to learn :). I was terrified of pork butt until I gave it a try on the kettle as well. I'm still contemplating switching the brisket out for another butt or possibly even a beef roast just to use a cheaper cut of meat on my first go around, though i have been craving brisket lately.

Here is a really good read on brisket prep. It's for High Heat but you don't have to follow it exactly. Personally I studied brisket cooks for about a month before I took one on and I have never had a bad one but I did quite a few other cooks first getting to know my smoker. I do prefer low and slow to HH although the timing of HH works well for me.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?718...ation&highlight=brisket+compilation+High+heat

Depending on your taste for rubs Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub recipe is really good with brisket however everyone has their own preferences. If decide to postpone brisket get a pork butt or a picnic. They are very forgiving, easy to cook and give you wonderful flavor. You need to "gunk" up that smoker and a pork butt will work well doing that.
Have fun and post some pics.

Here is a really good read on brisket prep. It's for High Heat but you don't have to follow it exactly. Personally I studied brisket cooks for about a month before I took one on and I have never had a bad one but I did quite a few other cooks first getting to know my smoker. I do prefer low and slow to HH although the timing of HH works well for me.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?718...ation&highlight=brisket+compilation+High+heat

Depending on your taste for rubs Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub recipe is really good with brisket however everyone has their own preferences. If decide to postpone brisket get a pork butt or a picnic. They are very forgiving, easy to cook and give you wonderful flavor. You need to "gunk" up that smoker and a pork butt will work well doing that.
Have fun and post some pics.

Yea, I've done a few pork butts now on the kettle and all have turned out excellent (I've been using a brown-sugar coffee chipotle rub that is fantastic on pork) and kind of want to try something new. What is a picnic?

I'm jealous! Do you keep yours on the deck year-round? Just cover them up when not in use?

I do keep them outside year round. When not in use, always covered to keep the family warm and dry. I also slide them over under that overhang for a little protection during the winter. Never know when you want to have a winter cook to cheer you up.

Yea, I've done a few pork butts now on the kettle and all have turned out excellent (I've been using a brown-sugar coffee chipotle rub that is fantastic on pork) and kind of want to try something new. What is a picnic?

It's a pork shoulder, fresh ham. They are referred to up here quite a bit as a Picnic.

Back