Enclosure for WSM

Andy Kay

TVWBB Member
If building an enclosure for low temps, when using an ATC, do you place the intake hose for the blower inside the enclosure? If so, will the intake affect the draft and allow the smoke to exit?

Andy

Andy, I'm no expert at smoking...yet
icon_biggrin.gif
but I do know HVAC which includes fans, static air pressures and such.

How tight do you plan to build your enclosure?

What type of exhaust venting are you going to use?

How many cubic feet per minute does the ATC you plan on using draw?

As a rule with the info you have supplied so far, I would say the ATC intake should be on the outside. You want to create a slight positive air pressure within the enclosure.

There is a trade off being colder air in will = less BTU's out. Depending on outdoor air temp, you my notice an increase in your fuel consumption on colder days.

There is another option depending on your design. An outdoor intake with a small damper on the inside in series with the tube. This would give you the option to adjust or mix some slightly warmer air into the feed. All you need is a very slight positive pressure within the enclosure to achieve proper venting/exhaust.

Good Luck with your project!

It won't be that tight. The intake blower is about 10 cfm. No exhaust fan. My main concern is adding the cold outside air as opposed to the warmer air in the enclosure.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Kay:
It won't be that tight. The intake blower is about 10 cfm. No exhaust fan. My main concern is adding the cold outside air as opposed to the warmer air in the enclosure.

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

10 CFM with an inside damper would make about a 3 cfm mix with an inside air damper in a 12 cubic foot enclosure. That should give you approx. a 6-8* temp drop on entering air to smoker.

Back