Genesis vs Spirit

Scott F

Well... my old propane beast (charbroil the wife bought me years ago) finally gave up its last gasp - which means I get to go buy a new one!

I've narrowed down my preference to either the Genesis 310 or the Spirit 310 and I'm torn. They both look and feel great (went by my local home depot), but I'm trying to understand what the extra $150 in price difference is truly getting me. A little extra grill space, the burner controls slide over a bit more...

So, any thoughts, opinions, or just advice? Once summer hits, I'll be grilling two or three times a week - anything from burgers and dogs to good quality steaks. Family is just three of us, but I'll have gatherings of the friends and their families over which will make for... a good number more hungry mouths.

Most of the time I'll foist them off on ribs from my bullet (duh!), but other times I'll just want to save that goodness (and all the left overs!) for myself.

Thanks in advance!

go with the gensis. much better built. if you look at the specs there is a lot of diferances. plus ya get some color choices with the genesis.

Scott - I have both a 2007 Spirit 310 and a 2008 Genesis 310.

I absolutely loved the Spirit - the thing rocked and was my first "good" gasser. It heated up quickly - had even heat distribution - and had great build quality.

Now to the Genesis. Take everything I said and put it on steroids. Granted I only have one cook under my belt on my new Genesis - so I haven't figured everything out on it like my Spirit.

The Genesis just does everything slightly better - not knocking the Spirit at all, since on its own merits its a dream.......but with the grills side by side you notice the slight differences.

I hate to say the cliche "You'll be happy with either choice" but thats the truth.

Spirit
Pros:
Warms up fast (600F in 10 mins)
Good build quality
Even heat distribution
Great warranty

Cons:
Subpar grates (PC-steel)
Average cooking area

Genesis:
Pros:
Excellent build quality
Excellent grates (PCI)
Even better warranty

Cons:
Dont know yet

Thanks both - btw, the Spirit at Home Depot has PCI grates, so that decision maker is off the table! Course that assumes my lowes 10% coupon will be honored at HD.
icon_razz.gif

Looks like I'll go by the store and do some staring for a while!

Hi Scott

I guess that you really have made up your mind on the Genesis and just want some additional justification to make everyone happy.

I demonstrate cooking for Weber Australia every Saturday from end of September to end of December each year. (Its the sort of gig that everyone from the BBQ fraternity dreams of.)
I also own a Genesis E320. My opinion for what it is worth is that both perform great, the food that comes off them is second to none. You said you can get the PCI grates with the Spirit which is good, that is one of the differences that stands them apart.
The biggest difference is the build quality and finish. That and the pride of ownership of that wonderful black and chrome piece of steel demanding to be used to produce the family fare.

Actually it is hard to define but I always prefer to cook on the Genesis in preference to the Spirit, the end ease and end results seem to be that little bit better but it is something that I cant define, so I really do put it down to pride of ownership.

Regards

Phil

The other difference between the Spirit line and Genesis line is the Spirits are made in China where the Genesis' are made in the USA. If you look at them both side by side youll see there is a quality difference. Other things such as heavier SS rod style grates on the EP series Genesis, as well as the 42000 btu rating on the Genesis whereas the Spirits are rated at 36000 btus. Both are great grills but if you can swing the Genesis youll be thrilled with this grill! Good luck!

I compared them side by side at ACE HW today and didn't notice anything particularly off about the fit and finish of either. Both seemed well put together. The differences I noticed were
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>heft - Genesis much heavier than the Spirit <LI>rigidity - when lifting/maneuvering from the table/wing things, Genesis felt more solid, probably due to the use of metal or a very hard composite on the end cap, vs a more pliable black poly type plastic on the end cap of the Spirit <LI>materials - thin PCS grates on the standard Spirit, PCCI grates on the standard Genesis. That said, the $50 bump to the EP/SP "premium" version of either is a no brainer, so grates/bars are a wash. <LI>materials - from memory, the S-series Spirit is single hulled but the Genesis S-310 I saw today appeared to be double hulled (odd since the E-series Gens weren't, though). <LI>materials - I think the gauge of metal used on the Genesis lid is thicker than the one on the Spirit lid. Can't confirm with measurements so it could be a fit/finish thing, but the Genesis lid (E-series) had a much different feel and sound when knocked on than the Spirit. Felt more solid was less tinny sounding. <LI>size - size difference was quite apparent when side by side, with the Genesis firebox standing out, size wise. <LI>BTUs - didn't compare the burners but the spec sheet ACE had noted the BTU difference as Michael posted above, 36k for the Spirit, 6 more for the Gen. [/list]

Size, feel and heat capacity are what are pushing me to the Genesis.

Lexus vs. Toyota

Acura vs. Honda

Infinity vs. Nissan

All great products, but the higher end gives you better build quality and a little extra.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Mathis:
Got a genesis se, but doesn't get hot enough to sear...I am used to charcoal...any suggestions people? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What kind of hood temps are you getting?? Should have no problem searing at 600+ degrees...which is what your Genesis should be putting out..

Yea..its just I can't cook with the lid open...Like I said...am used to charcoal....so u have to keep the lid closed to get high heat? Steven Raichlen gives the rule of palm...is that charcoal only?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Mathis:
Yea..its just I can't cook with the lid open...Like I said...am used to charcoal....so u have to keep the lid closed to get high heat? Steven Raichlen gives the rule of palm...is that charcoal only? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I demonstrate the same rule on a Genesis or a Q when demonstrating cooking. It works equally as well.

Cheers

Take a magnet to the store with you. What ever SS it sticks to is 430 grade. What it does not stick to is 304 grade SS. 304 uses nickel, and is more corrosion and rust resistant than 430, which contains iron. If you can find an older build of the Genesis in 304, grab it. If not, the quality differential between the Genesis and Spirit are pretty much negated. That brings the decision down to BTU's and cooking space. Do you need more of each? Then Genesis. If not, Spirit will do fine.

In looking at the Genesis, look to see if the hood is lined. Older Genesis hoods are lined. This results in a smaller gap at the top (back of the hood) when closed, and keep more heat in. I've read that Weber stopped lining all Genesis hoods in 2009. Some people have said Weber makes different builds for Lowes and Home Depot, and have found lined hoods at smaller retailers.

Regardless of which one you get, you're paying more for a Weber because of the expectation of higher quality. You therefor deserve a grill made of the materials that earned Weber that quality reputation. Weber has every right to shift production off shore and use less expensive materials. However, if a company holds, and values, a reputation for high quality USA made products, then there is a right and wrong way to do this. The wrong way is to slip in lesser quality materials off shore manufacture on existing models, and hope not too many people catch on. The right way is to come up with new model name so consumers can know what they are buying.

Back