Stock Therm in WSM...how accurate?

How accurate is the stock therm in the WSM (18.5, in my case)? In my experience, Weber's therms have been pretty close in kettles I have or have had...

The thermometer is accurate, but because of it's location, it often reads much different from the actual grate temperature.

I've always found the WSM therm to be about 30* lower than my Maverick, but both are very consistent from time to time. I don't think it matter much which you use for the cooker temp as long as you get used to it.

Rich

Originally posted by Jacob Montgomery:
Thanks for the replies, folks!

Unbolt the thermo from the lid and with a pair of tongs, place the probe in a pot of boiling water and check the temp. If it reads around 212, it is accurate. That being said, mine while accurate according to the boiling test, is about 20 degrees cooler than my grate temp. My Maverick ET732 has also been boiling water tested. I just take it as it is. I am cooking with my grate temps now ...

I agree with everyone in that mine is dome temp runs anywhere from 15-20 degrees cooler then my cooking grate. However, I only have one cook in on my WSM so time will tell.

Jason, thanks. Did this test, and while it read the boiling water at 212 when running a probe yesterday, the stock therm was anywhere from 10-30 degrees lower than the grate temp (depending on how high the temps were).

thanks again to everyone for responding!

Originally posted by Jacob Montgomery:
Jason, thanks. Did this test, and while it read the boiling water at 212 when running a probe yesterday, the stock therm was anywhere from 10-30 degrees lower than the grate temp (depending on how high the temps were).

thanks again to everyone for responding!

Sounds about right

I never have really looked a lot. I use a Maverick 732 for my meat temperature. I use a IQUE 110 temp controller and have checked it with the pit probe from the Maverick. They we just about identical. So, I look at the built I. Thermometer as a hood ornament.

Back