Internal Temp???

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

HElp out a novice here. Why do we bbq to an internal temp of 185 (in this case for a briskett)? Seems that's overdone to me. Thanks and I just did my first Briskett. Held the WSM at between 235 and 250 for 11 hours using the Minion method. Added no coals and it's still burning at 225 3 hours later.

"Done" is a relative term. Different cuts of meat are best cooked using different methods, depending on tenderness, fat content, etc. Yes, a boneless, skinless chicken breast can be cooked over high heat to an internal temp of 160? and be nicely "done". Try that with a brisket, and you may as well try to eat your shoe. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Steve

Brisket and pork butt for example contain a lot conective tissue and to break it down you need to take to these cuts to higher internal temps. A brisket depending on the amount of internal fat may have to go to 195 to 200?+ to become tender.
A steak or other beef cuts you may want to only take to 125 to 135? internal, it just depends on the cut your talking about.
Jim

Those portions of the animal that do the work are tougher than those that do not. Two main components of the connective tissue that Jim refers to are collagen and elastin. The amount of these two components varies, depending on the part of the animal, sex, and age. Elastin is yellow and can be easily seen and cut out. Elastin will not become tender from cooking; it shrinks and becomes tougher. Collagen is white, small fibers, which are not visible to the naked eye, unless a lot of it forms sheets and strands. Collagen will break down, becoming soft and tender, when properly cooked. There are two cooking methods that can be used to make this happen - keep it at an elevated temperature for an extended period of time, or cook it at very elevated temperatures, in a moist environment, such as a pressure cooker. In the dry heat environment of a smoker, the cooking temperature must be kept high enough to break down the collagen and render out the fat. At the same time, it must be kept low enough that it will not evaporate excessive moisture. Remember, water turns to steam and evaporates at 212?F. As the fat melts and renders out, it will replace some of the water, but not all. Thus, ~ 225? has been found to be an ideal cooking temperature for tough cuts of meat, like brisket and shoulder. Cooking it to an internal temperature of 195?F to 205?F is as close to the boiling point of water that one can get, without losing excessive moisture, and allows the increased temperature to render out the fat and break down the collagen. Once thought about and analyzed, the science part of cooking makes sense. Enjoy!

Wow, it's like the lights went on.....that's a concise, understandable explanation of what happens. Makes alot of things make sense now. Thanks and I welcome any other posts along those lines.

Ray, that was an excellent explanation. Thanks for the science lesson. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back