Chris Lilley's Championship Injection ?

Scotty W.

TVWBB Super Fan
For those of you who have used this recipe did it taste really salty? I mixed up a batch tonight to inject a 8 lb pork butt but after tasting it don't think I will. My wife tasted it too and she said the same thing. I did use Kosher salt instead of table salt but think there's less sodium in the Kosher. 1/4 cup of any salt sounds like alot. Am I missing something or is it supposed to be salty?

Thanks for any thoughts on this

A couple of weeks ago I used the butt injection he provides in his book. It did taste salty but I didn't notice any excessive saltiness in the meat. I'll be using it again in my July 4 butt.

Next time you make it add the salt a little at a time and taste. Keep track of how much salt you. Once you find that it tastes just right then inject. After the meat is cooked taste test it. If it is spot on continue to do that, if undersalted add a little more for the next cook if over salted take away a little. After several cook you will strike the right balance. Keep in mind that you should always use the same ingredients every time. If you change one of the ingredients it add salt without you realizing.

I personally add about half the salt.

For what it's worth I've been using it for over a year. My daughter likes things lightly salted but she never complains that the meat is salty. I know the inject tastes salty but it doesn't seem to produce salty tasting meat.

The recipe posted on the main page was way too salty for me.

I found a recipe for the Chris Lilly Championship injection marinade in Southern Living's Big Book of BBQ. This is intended for a 6-8 pound Boston Butt pork shoulder.

1/3 cup apple juice
1/3 cup white grape juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoon of salt

Don't be afraid of the white grape juice. This really works well for me.

I use this one that he himself mentioned at his class I attended. He even said that he forgot to add the Lemon Juice to the book but here it is. I have 8 butts on the smoker and i injected this in every one of them and have used this injection for a few years now. Its wonderful and does not produce salty meat

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup table salt
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

Then when I foil at 165* I add a half cup of this to each butt..

1T Pork Rub, yours
1/2 Stick Butter
1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey
1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice
1T Molasses

Optional:
2T Vinegar, to make it Tangy

Simmer 5-10 minutes until syrupy consistency.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Cowley:
I use this one that he himself mentioned at his class I attended. He even said that he forgot to add the Lemon Juice to the book but here it is. I have 8 butts on the smoker and i injected this in every one of them and have used this injection for a few years now. Its wonderful and does not produce salty meat

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup table salt
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

Then when I foil at 165* I add a half cup of this to each butt..

1T Pork Rub, yours
1/2 Stick Butter
1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey
1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice
1T Molasses

Optional:
2T Vinegar, to make it Tangy

Simmer 5-10 minutes until syrupy consistency.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used Lilly's much published championship shoulder injection and the peach butt injection in his book, but the lemon juice sounds like a significant addition. Thanks.

But where did you get the foiling sauce recipe from? That sounds interesting.

How much difference does the foiling/sweetener make? I've used Lilly's rub and injection but I've never used foil or the last part of the process. Almost makes it sound too sweet.

Is this a comp-only process or is this for typical backyard all-palates process? I'm willing to give it a shot but I'm curious just what it adds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeterD:
How much difference does the foiling/sweetener make? I've used Lilly's rub and injection but I've never used foil or the last part of the process. Almost makes it sound too sweet.

Is this a comp-only process or is this for typical backyard all-palates process? I'm willing to give it a shot but I'm curious just what it adds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peter, from the videos I've seen of Lilly's demonstrations he doesn't foil butts, but I've done what you're referring to a couple of times. First time was when cooking with a lady at the church who insisted on basting the butts with sauce when foiling
icon_confused.gif
and even more recently when trying the Wicked Good method.

Personally, I think my best foiled butts ever were the ones I did Saturday with no baste/glaze, but that's just me. To me the goal is preserving the bark, (yes you CAN get bark and still foil!) and I don't have confidence yet in adding stuff to the foil. There's more experienced foilers than me to be sure, though, so take that for what it's worth. All I know is that Saturday's butts were really good and I hate to admit how quick they were done.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back