WSM in the rain

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi. Just wondering about anyone's experience using the WSM in the rain. Looking forward to doing some ribs this weekend and the forecast is for showers (which means monsoon conditions in weatherman speak) :)
Thanks

I usually setup a tarp over my WSM when weather is looking to be an issue. If there's any wind, you'd want to set up a windblock as well.

PUT A THERMOMETER IN THE CENTER OF COOKER.. AND IT MIGHT NOT BE A BAD IDEA TO GET A POP UP CANOPY!!!!

iT SHELTERS THE RAIN AND SHADES THE SUN!!

Remember the construction of the WSM is such that rainwater running down the dome lid will seep into the cooker and end up collecting in the charcoal bowl, so rain cover is imperative. The question has been posed as to why it's not the other way around. The answer is that-- if it were-- grease and liquid running down the inside of the cooker would seep out.

My solution .

In Oregon if we didn't cook in the rain we would only have a three month cooking season. I run a WSM year around. The cold does not affect us much as I have done lots of cooks below freezing. I keep the WSM's out of direct downfall as I have a carport that works well for cooks during the winter. If wind is kicking up I usually point the open lower vents away from the wind.

Rain has never been a problem for me. I do put my WSM under a tree that provides shade against sun warmups and some cover for rain.

Water in the bottom should be minimal as it will fall out the vents. I have never had rain affect my cooking other than some minor damper on the temperature.

I'm sure some of the BBQ competition guys have some better advice (horror stories? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

COOK AWAY!

-Matt

Ken,

I have also used the WSM in the rain, albeit, not in heavy downpours, and have not had a problem. Water does collect in the bottom of the unit, but it has never affected my coals.

Like Dennis we are in Seattle area and we cookin the rain a lot. It's just not much of a problem, covered or not does not seem to make a lot of difference.
Jim

I don't have a garage, and when we get rain here, it can be inches in a short time. If I plan ahead, I put it under a covered porch. But sometimes I'm caught off-guard. For those times, I arrange 4 concrete blocks around the WSM. then I take our old plastic patio table and stand it over the WSM, on top of the blocks. They raise it about a foot from the top of the smoker, it stays cool, and the WSM stays dry. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

When it rains by me I just cook in my garage with the door open. I've been doing it for years. It's not like anything will start on fire. It's on a concrete floor and I keep it as close to the outside of the garage as possible without the rain hitting it.
The only harm I see from it is it stinks up the garage for a few days.

I know so many people that will not grill even if it looks like it's gonna rain. Well I'll never let that stop me. They look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I grill in my garage.

Although I don't do it for all nighters though. I don't like leaving my garage door open. I've never done one when it rained. But if I did I would just throw it on the front stoop by the front door. We have an overhang there. A little rain will get in there. But unless it's a really nasty storm it doesn't get that yet up there.

We have been having storms daily and nightly her for the past few weeks. My last all nighter (on my deck), I took an old beach umbrella and stood it up by sticking it into a soaking wet bundle of pine needles. Stacked 2 bricks on top of the bundle and ran the pole thru the bricks then the bundle for added stability.

It worked and we had a pretty strong shower during the night. Good luck/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis Fraley:
[QB] When it rains by me I just cook in my garage with the door open. I've been doing it for years. It's not like anything will start on fire. It's on a concrete floor and I keep it as close to the outside of the garage as possible without the rain hitting it.
The only harm I see from it is it stinks up the garage for a few days. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Be careful with that, Dennis. Carbon monoxide is an insidious thing. It builds up in one's body, over time, preventing red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Or so my M.D tells me. Always better safe than sorry.
Just my $0.02

Jim

Thanks for all the responses! Now I'm sure that we'll have the most perfect sunshine we've ever had. Murphy's Law, I guess. All the best!

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim N.:
[qb]QUOTE]Be careful with that, Dennis. Carbon monoxide is an insidious thing. It builds up in one's body, over time, preventing red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Or so my M.D tells me. Always better safe than sorry.
Just my $0.02

Jim [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>yeah I know. That's why I always leave the big garage door open. All the smoke blows outside.

Yeah, I kinda figured that you were aware of the possible danger, but it's a warning that can't be repeated too often. Several years ago, I had a friend who was camping in the desert with his fiance. It was a cold, windy night, so they elected to grill their dinner inside his van.
Instead of attending their wedding, I attended a double funeral. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim N.:
[qb] Yeah, I kinda figured that you were aware of the possible danger, but it's a warning that can't be repeated too often. Several years ago, I had a friend who was camping in the desert with his fiance. It was a cold, windy night, so they elected to grill their dinner inside his van.
Instead of attending their wedding, I attended a double funeral. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Jim [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>WOW, I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah I'm aware of the danger. I also don't sit out there and watch the grill the whole time either. I'm usually in the house unless I'm cooking stuff like brats, burgers, or steaks. Then I watch it closely. But the grill times are next to none as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob B.:
[qb] I don't have a garage, and when we get rain here, it can be inches in a short time. If I plan ahead, I put it under a covered porch. But sometimes I'm caught off-guard. For those times, I arrange 4 concrete blocks around the WSM. then I take our old plastic patio table and stand it over the WSM, on top of the blocks. They raise it about a foot from the top of the smoker, it stays cool, and the WSM stays dry. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good grief! There just HAS to be a double-wide that goes with all this stuff... (War Eagle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back