Cleaning Stoker pit probe

KeithG

TVWBB Fan
Tried to do a search, but really did not find anything on what is the best way to clean the pit probe sensor end. After a very long smoke, the sensor is pretty much dark brown now and can't seem to get it to come off. When I smoked yesterday and had the food probe and pit probe in the WSM before I put the meat on, it seems the pit probe lagged the food probe while it came up to temperature. I thought this may be due to the build-up of the smoke film on the pit probe.

Is this true? And if so, what is the best way to clean this film off of the pit probe?

I have tried lightly scrubbing and using some clorox wipes, but did not work.

Thanks for the help.
Kg

I clean mine up in boiling hot water and wipe clean. Heavier build up will take several rotations thru water and wipe down. It is also a good time to calibrate.

Originally posted by D Casten:
I clean mine up in boiling hot water and wipe clean. Heavier build up will take several rotations thru water and wipe down. It is also a good time to calibrate.

Wow, this was the ticket. Put the probes in boiling water and smoke film came off very easily. Thanks for the tip.

Kg

Just an fyi, I haven't cleaned my pit probe in probably 30 cooks. I should, but haven't. It is still right on with the temp probe in my cooker. That said, cleaning it once in a while and calibrating is probably a good idea.

Originally posted by Mike McGlinn:
How often should I be cleaning the probe?

Hey MIke,
I am not sure what is the best or preferred cleaning frequency, but I like to keep mine fairly clean so I plan on cleaning it in the boiling water every couple of long smokes. The main reason I asked on how to clean it in my original post in this thread was becasue I noticed a temp lag between my pit probe and my food probe when lighting up the WSM and both probes are in the WSM without any food. I thought the temp lag on the pit probe may have been due to the heavy smoke film on the pit probe, thus the reason why I was trying to get it off. I have not used the probes since cleaning it so I don't know if the temp lag issue has been fixed or not.

Good luck,
Kg

I wouldn't worry about it unless you are way off. All of my smokers have a dial thermo as well, so I can tell if something is messed up. In reality, what is 10 degrees high or low going to do?

Tried to do a search, but really did not find anything on what is the best way to clean the pit probe sensor end. After a very long smoke, the sensor is pretty much dark brown now and can't seem to get it to come off. When I smoked yesterday and had the food probe and pit probe in the WSM before I put the meat on, it seems the pit probe lagged the food probe while it came up to temperature. I thought this may be due to the build-up of the smoke film on the pit probe.

Is this true? And if so, what is the best way to clean this film off of the pit probe?

I have tried lightly scrubbing and using some clorox wipes, but did not work.

Thanks for the help.
Kg

I have always used a little dishwasher power in hot water to soak probes in. after about 30 min. the enzymes in the mix will clean them back to new

I have always used a little dishwasher power in hot water to soak probes in. after about 30 min. the enzymes in the mix will clean them back to new

I only clean my food probe on my stoker every once in a while and I don't remember ever cleaning my pit probe, still works fine.

I usally scrub with liquid degreaser about every 2/3 cooks. Not more. I really believe that all probes should be as clean as possibile to allow a perfect misurament! For meat probe first the degreaser then some fresh water keeping attention not to allow water in

I have found less swings in temps on my Stoker using clean probes. Been using a probe cleaner by Stark Boards. Usually a 30 second dunk in the solution removes all the gunk.

probe%20cleaner_zpszqscbasl.jpg

Back