Alton Brown porterhouse steak

Jerry P.

TVWBB Super Fan
I caught a new episode of Good Eats last night where AB dry aged a steak in his fridge and grilled it on a grate under his chimney starter.

Anybody else see this or try it? It looked pretty interesting.

I've got it on the dvr, but not watched it yet.
Glad to hear it's interesting, but then I like most of his shows.

Saw the episode and got excited. Didn't do the dry aged thing yet (on the todo list), but tried the under the chimney starter thing. My rib eye was too big
icon_frown.gif
Gonna have to re-size/re-select before trying again. The carmelization on AB's porthouse looked phenomenal.

Yeah, I caught it the other night. I kept meaning to post it here, but I forgot.

I LOVED that beautiful mahogany color he got on that steak.
icon_eek.gif

Saw it and found it interesting.

I was half expecting him to throw it directly onto the coals like he did with the skirt steak.

As Paul found, for what *I* consider a Porterhouse would have trouble fitting under a chimney. Weber's chimney at 7.5" diameter will be tight but a 6" generic brand - no way.
icon_wink.gif

Most everything I've made based on AB's advice has been great, so I plan to make this porterhouse feast once employment returns to my life. It was a great show and a great looking steak.

Originally posted by TravisH:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Douglas Perry:
What? No love for AB's kettle chair?
I've got my "Prop People" on it as we speak!

Sssssseared to perfection! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I need to find some prop people. I was telling my wife about the chair. She gave me "the look". I think I will start shopping CL for a beat up 22 OTS though.
icon_smile.gif

Tim, expect an invoice for the cleaning of my laptop screen...the badge you have? Brillant, and caused a coffee incident this morning.
Made my day.

I can't attest to the upside-down cooking method but it does sound interesting. Many steak-houses broil their meats. I've been searing my steaks on top of the chimney starter for a while now and the high heat does a good job. I suspect the upside-down method will reduce flare-ups.

I CAN attest to the refridgerator aging. I do the same thing with strip straks and they come out great. In a side-by-side taste test with 'fresh' steaks and butcher shop prime aged steaks ($20/lb) the home aged beef was definitely improved over the 'fresh' and comparable to the butcher shop prime aged beef.

I don't even want a little to fall on my steak. I know some of it does fall on food from normal cooking, but I try my best to not let that happen. I'm a fan of Alton Brown, but sometimes his ideas are just too crazy for my taste.

Thanks for the link. I just watched it and may try the aging along with the chimney grilling.
Think will try and find more of his episodes. They are really into food.
guy

Back