Whole Packer Brisket

Mickey Murphy

TVWBB Member
Hey Guys and Gals. Just had a question about a whole brisket. I have only done flats in the past, as that is all I can get at my local store. I did come across a 15 lb packer with the point and flat attached. I was planning on bringing it up to 165 and foiling until 180. This will allow both sections to be done right?? Not interested in burnt ends this time around, just want it to be juicy. Do I need to seperate it prior to foiling?? Or just let the whole thing cook together.

Check it for tenderness rather than taking it to a specific temp. Check it first at 180, if you wish, and if your probe doesn't go in effortlessly then cook it longer, checking every 20-30 min or so till it does.

The point will be 'done' but perhaps not done done, i.e., it might well need additional rendering (this is subjective). I remove the point from the flat when the flat is tender and let it cool, storing it in the fridge or freezer for use in a day or so (I mske chili out of it, or beef sauces, or enchiladas, or a number of other things). If you are planning to consume it immediately just see whether the fat has rendered enough for your taste and if not separate it from the flat and return it to the cooker to finish.

I agree. W/ a 15lb packer you will prob have a good size point. I cut the "kernal" of fat between the flat and point. You can remove a good fist size of fat there...big vein. When your flat is done...just slide your knife through that vein and separate. I usually will throw the point back on for another hour or two. It will usually be "spongy" and not rendered all the way through to make it totally done. It works out good though..let the flat rest in the cooler and have the point can cont to cook. The point has so much flavor...when cooked correctly it is an awesome piece of meat.

You won't be disappointed! The point is the best part of the brisket IMO - more versatile, plus, more fat = more flavour!

Back