“Camp Shower” Wind Screen

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
I was doing an overnight cook this past Friday for a friend’s river party to be held on Saturday. Needless to say the weather was awful for the cook...high winds and rain. Hauling a plywood or metal windbreak down there was not possible with all the other family stuff I had crammed in the SUV. I was really worried about cooking in this weather but figured that a few of us drunk rednecks could make it work somehow.

While in Walmart buying other stuff for the party I stumbled on this (the enclosure not the woman) for $36 and thought I would give it a try as a windscreen.

I was amazed. It worked perfectly. Standing in it to test things out, there was plenty of ventilation but no wind...and no rain. I know Weber recommends not operating the WSM “Within five feet of combustible material” and this was a concern but after getting it up to temp there was no issue. It’s 4 feet square wide and 7 feet tall and with the 18.5” WSM right in the middle none of the sides touch the cooker, even with a strong wind pushing in on it. There are also a lot of mesh pockets and straps to hold thermometers, tongs and such...the best part, it folds down to fit into a very small carrying case.

The cook went off without a hitch and this was posted by my freind’s wife on my Facebook page this morning “Your bbq is hands down the best I’ve ever had. Thanks for all that you did this weekend. You and the wifey rock!!”

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Interesting idea. Somewhat suprised noone has much else to say about it so far. Glad it worked for you so well.

Hmmm...I have a 4' by 4' shower shelter that is over 7' tall. I believe you are right...it would make a great wind screen and rain shelter...and some of the best smelling camp showers ever!

Back