Picked this rub up today........ Lawry's Chipotle Cinnamon Rub

Never tried it - or even seen it for that matter. But it sounds good.

I use cinnamon often in many rubs. Not a whole lot as it can be overpowering. It works well in small amounts when combined with chile - and sage and thyme, among other things.

What I don't use is smoked anything - i.e., no chipotle, which is smoked jalapeño, and no smoked paprika - in rubs for meats I am going to smoke. Imo, the smokiness of the rub often clashes with the smoke wood, first, and second, I don't see the point of applying a smoked spice to something I am going to smoke. However, I do like either chipotle or smoked paprika in rubs for grilled items - stuff that's not cooked long enough to really pick up much in the way of smoke flavor anyway. Using a smoked spice in the rub takes care of that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger
What I don't use is smoked anything - i.e., no chipotle, which is smoked jalapeño, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was surprised that it wasn't smokey tasting. Really has no chipotle taste at all. More like a regular chili pepper, but still a quite tasty rub. Almost a citrus taste with a nice heat kick... I have a regular jar of ground chipotle pepper which I use in other recipes, and it has a pronounced smokey flavor.

Overall a pretty good rub, balanced. Just a bit more savory than sweet, despite the two sugars on the label. A little on the milder side as far as heat goes. But then, I didn't go too heavy with it either, not knowing how it was going be. I think next time I'll rub a little brown sugar on before I apply it. Oh and not an overly strong cinnamon taste either, only got one bite where I could really taste it. I'll give it a 7.5/10

Back