Looking forward to the weekend

Long Nguyen

TVWBB Member
I am finally going to break out my WSM this weekend!!

And I got my Thermaworks Smoke delivered today as well!!
UxIBPmv.jpg

Ok question for all you gurus...As of right now, I only have AppleWood chips. I plan on smoking some Tri-tip and Pork Loin. Would this work for both? I know Red Oak works best for Tri Tip, and I don't mind going out to get some Red Oak Chunks, but what about for the pork loin? And what wood or combination of wood can I use that would compliment both cuts of meat in the same smoker?

Can't wait to hear how the smoke works out. I plan to trade in my existing wireless thermometer, when the WiFi adaptor is available.

Hey Long, Congrats on the new "Smoke" Monitor!!! As far as wood goes, a lot is personal taste and wood used even varies by region. I agree with V Rocco in using chunks instead of chips (just my opinion). Since you have two different meats you can look for a combo that would compliment both. Apple would be fine for both (since you already have apple), but you can do a pecan/apple mix and that would compliment both.. I like doing a Cherry/Pecan mix; but once again, that is just me. Experiment, have fun and see what flavor profiles you like!

I'd go with apple. Would be afraid the oak will be too much for the pork.

Thanks for all the info. I may go out and get some cherry chunks before my smoke on Saturday... There is a firewood lot down the street that has pretty much most of the popular woods for smoking.

You know what I love about this? I am a very resourceful guy and do a ton of research... But the more information I get, the more overwhelming it is, in a fantastic way... What I learned so far about smoking, is that experience and wisdom trumps everything.

I plan on gaining lots of wisdom and experience with the help of the community.

Good luck with your smoke. I'm a fiend for Pecan. I use it on everything. I love oak as well. Experiment and find what you like! I'm jealous of that smoke thermometer. I think I may need to get one for Christmas!

Thanks for all the info. I may go out and get some cherry chunks before my smoke on Saturday.

I've found apple and cherry to be the most versatile smoke woods and try to keep them on hand at all times. Apple goes great with pork and poultry, but I'm not a huge fan of it with beef. I've used cherry on everything with great results.

Long...

That firewood lot down the street... is it located on Batavia in Orange ?
If so, they are much more than just a firewood lot.
They will have everything you will need. AND they are Very Knowledgeable on the subject of BBQ, being that they are also a Pro BBQ team themselves !
We, the California Barbeque Association, hold most of our BBQ classes there.

Long...

That firewood lot down the street... is it located on Batavia in Orange ?
If so, they are much more than just a firewood lot.
They will have everything you will need. AND they are Very Knowledgeable on the subject of BBQ, being that they are also a Pro BBQ team themselves !
We, the California Barbeque Association, hold most of our BBQ classes there.

Yes that is exactly the one. The Wood Shed on Batavia. I have only been there once and the girl who helped me out was very cool. I have a feeling that I will be frequenting them often.

Back