Heatermeter 4.0 need to add a thermocouple

TonyAG

Does or has anyone added a thermocouple to a HM 4.0? This version didn't come with thermocouple onboard support, but i sure would like to add something to convert the thermocouple output to something the thermoresistor HM input could read. Thanks for any input!

-Tony

What you could do is add one of my adapter boards to the 4.0. It would give you a thermocouple and an alternate place to attach probes 1 and probes 2 to it, and it also has the ability to be adjusted to view lower temperatures(max of about -67°f). You would need some minor wire mods on the 4.0 to get to work.

Just be careful how you wire the Aux thermocouple board with your HMv4.0, because V4.0 sends 12V to the blower and pulses the ground rather than pulsing the 12V lead like V4.1 and above.... So you can't use the standard CAT5 pinout with the ground shared between the blower and servo.

I would also add the RC filter at least on the probe where you add the thermocouple, its just one 100K resistor and one .1uf capacitor, so very cheap and easy to add. If you want to take it further check out this thread where I updated my v4.0 to v4.1 and then to v4.2.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50543-HMv4-0-to-HMv4-1

If you decide to update the blower circuit (so it will pulse the 12V line like newer HM's and work with the standard cat5 pinout), make sure you go with the v4.2 circuit update which comes after the v4.1 update in that thread. (V4.2 adds voltage mode capability) If you do the v4.2 blower circuit and the RC filter mod's, and add the TC Pit Probe via aux board your v4.0 will be completely up to speed with the current v4.3..

I forgot about that thread. I remember you doing that now. But, I think the OP will leave it as is and will build a 4.3 later down the road.

I forgot about that thread. I remember you doing that now. But, I think the OP will leave it as is and will build a 4.3 later down the road.

Regardless, he needs to make note of the differences in the blower circuit if he wires the aux board to the v4.0. I think the blower and servo grounds are tied together on the Aux board? So he will have to wire the blower direct rather than go through the aux board, cause the ground is being pulsed... There has to be separate grounds for the blower and servo.

Back