looking for new weber

BradyMartin

what would be similar to the pit barrel cooker but doesnt get the flavor of the melting fat onto the coals flavoring the food?

i have a weber go anywhere for small meals.

i dont want to get something too big. id like to be able to do a lil bbq also. a rack of ribs and one pork but. nothing too big.

i was thinking maybe a jumbo joe? or maybe a kettle but id like something in between the size of my go anywhere and the pbc or kettle.

Sounds like the 22" One Touch Gold Kettle would be perfect. WSM would be perfect but some grease will hit the coals.

I agree with Noe,
The 22 gives ample area for a butt,(I frequently do two on mine) and the added convenience of available larger direct cooking space. In my opinion it's the best compromise between a smoker and a straight grill. Excellent design proven by years and years of service and buyers who, like many here. Will sing the praises of loud and clear!

Some good suggestions above.
But if you're only cooking for a few folks, you cannot go wrong with the 14WSM.........& the JJ.
I have both, & they're grate wee cookers.

Gotta agree with TonyUK.

The 14.5 WSM is a giant killer.
Use it with a diffuser (water pan - filled or not - or a metal plate) & it doesn't drip fat on the coals.

the thing is im looking for a medium sized primarily a grill that can do the occasional bbq low and slow so i think that rules out the swm. strange i just saw the portable kitchen, looks enticing but too expensive.

Last edited:
Well then a new performer it is. I can't wait to retire my OTG to back up duty and get a performer, I just need to get SWMBO on board by this spring.

i keep talking myself into the jumbo joe. i can grill and maybe do a pork butt or rack of ribs low and slow from videos ive seen. just want something for 2 people. i guess i want confirmation haha

Last edited:
Just enter the contest! You just might win a super cool copper performer!
More available space does not mean you have to stuff the thing full every time. I use my 22.5 custom carriage all the time for anything from two to ten passengers!
It's the best all around size I have ever used. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
i keep talking myself into the jumbo joe. i can grill and maybe do a pork butt or rack of ribs low and slow from videos ive seen. just want something for 2 people. i guess i want confirmation haha

The JJ is a great grill for smaller cooks. If you're not opposed to halving them or getting creative, you can certainly cook ribs. I've not done a butt on mine, but I've done several chuck roasts, cooking at 275-300 for up to 8 hours on about 30-35 briquettes (start with about 20 and add 5 every 2-3 hours). Also, for direct grilling, the grate is 1.5" closer to the coals than on the standard depth kettles, so you can get a good sear on things like burgers, steaks, brats/dogs, pork tenderloin... you name it.

A kettle with a dripping pan wouldn't melt fat over the coals and it was straightforward to me going slow with it using a minimal amount of coal.

I'm with Timothy recommending a 22" kettle. I switched away from a 18" after a year as I constantly felt short on space with it - all the logistics became really frustrating whenever I had a few friends over.. The 22" just knows all the tricks.

I love my JJ but I think my Performer is much more versatile. I also have a 14.5WSM. I usually cook my ribs on the Performer and I cooked some pork butts and chuck roasts on it before I bought the WSM. It sounds to me like you need a 22" kettle or maybe an 18" kettle.

You are going to be happy with any of the options.

WSM 14.5 is good for 1 or 2 people. Jumbo Joe is fine as well, but more grill oriented than smoker oriented. I really like my WSM 14.5.

the thing is im looking for a medium sized primarily a grill that can do the occasional bbq low and slow so i think that rules out the swm. strange i just saw the portable kitchen, looks enticing but too expensive.

I have a PK(portable Kitchen) grill and while it is expensive, it is a very nice grill. It's very miserly on fuel. It also works very well at indirect. I use this grill way more than my Weber Performers.

Wayne

ive always wanted the PK but its pricey and there are never any discounts. plus i read its a hassle to clean.

im liking the weber jumbo joe still. but damn that PK....

My BBQ arsenal is WSM "Classic" 18"(now 8 years old), Weber Master Touch 22" and a Weber Smoky Joe and like the versatility when BBQ/Grilling for a few or many.

Back