Practice Run last night - JD & Maple Brine

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I cooked a practice bird last night that had been in the Jack & Maple brine for ~24 hours... It was really good, but the skin left a little to be desired - a lot of the skin was good, but some of it was leathery.

I was aiming for as hot as possible so I left the lid off-set, and it took around 3.5 hours, maybe 3.75.

Think I should oil the skin next time? This turkey was ~14#, I'm cooking two 12-pounders, and smoke-reheating a spiral ham from Costco on the big day.

I smoked lightly with apple, I plan on doing the same thing again.

I didn't think enough of the brine flavor came through, and I had to make my own pickling spice, so as soon as I finished eating my turkey dinner last night I put the other 2 in the brine. This time (the 2nd) I boiled the spices & salt, let it cool, then added the jack & maple, & then poured it into the bucket... Today I could taste the brine more - hope the flavor isn't too much for the rest of the fam.

15219493_10207820555453737_4336997100209893364_n.jpg

15094958_10207820557493788_653247060356693529_n.jpg

Well, it sure looks good from here. I usually give a light rub of canola or olive oil. In my mind at least, that helps the skin crisp up. Did you dry in the fridge before cooking?

Did you air dry in the fridge overnight?

Well, it sure looks good from here. I usually give a light rub of canola or olive oil. In my mind at least, that helps the skin crisp up. Did you dry in the fridge before cooking?

Yes,,,,for at least 12 hours, maybe closer to 24. Some ares of the skin must just be thicker. I broke out the electric knife at lunch today while I processed the remainder for the freezer, I'll be using that for sure. I think I'll try the oil if that's the consensus....maybe just on one if it isn't :)

So 8pm Monday until Wednesday ~10am in the brine (~38 hrs), air dry until Thursday mid-morning.. Wish me luck!

Yes,,,,for at least 12 hours, maybe closer to 24. Some ares of the skin must just be thicker. I broke out the electric knife at lunch today while I processed the remainder for the freezer, I'll be using that for sure. I think I'll try the oil if that's the consensus....maybe just on one if it isn't :)

So 8pm Monday until Wednesday ~10am in the brine (~38 hrs), air dry until Thursday mid-morning.. Wish me luck!
I give mine a light coating of Olive Oil Pam, very light. That and the overnight air dry seems to do the trick for me. I don't think you'll ever get close to non-wet brined skin but mine seems pretty good.

You talking about the Mad Max gravy? It is the king of gravy!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey2/madmaxturkey2.htm

I know I've seen that recipe, not sure that I've tried it but it looks perfect........ I'll be sharing the kitchen with at least 3 other people (the smoker's mine), hope they make room for me and my gravy :)

I give mine a light coating of Olive Oil Pam, very light. That and the overnight air dry seems to do the trick for me. I don't think you'll ever get close to non-wet brined skin but mine seems pretty good.

mine was good too. I think I'll air dry & then lightly oil shortly before going on and see how that turns out.

Think I should oil the skin next time?
I do, I use extra virgin oil (so virgin it almost squeaks between your fingers) I get it at Costco

I didn't think enough of the brine flavor came through
I really think you need 48 hours minimum in the brine (imho)

I boiled the spices & salt, let it cool, then added the jack & maple, & then poured it into the bucket... Today I could taste the brine more - hope the flavor isn't too much for the rest of the fam.
Do/did you rinse it? When I take mine out of the brine, I rinse it really good, and then I soak it in plain water for another half hour. I then pull it our, give it another rinse, and then I put some coffee cups upside down in my empty/cleaned brine bucket. I then put the turkey in the bucket right side up (on the upside cups) and I let it "drain/dry" for no less than 12 hours and ideal would be 24 hours. This year I'm only going to be able to get 20 hours "drain/dry" and that's actually a concern for me. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow, so I won't have a chance to pull mine out of the brine much before 7PM and we're planning dinner at 5PM Thanksgiving day. I'm figuring 2.5 - 3.0 hours cook time at 325-350ish

I've no doubt your Thanksgiving cook will be amazing. Have a happy Thanksgiving my friend

I've no doubt your Thanksgiving cook will be amazing. Have a happy Thanksgiving my friend

Thanks Chuck! You too. (& thanks for sharing your tips)

edit:>>> I poured another dose of jack & maple in the bucket about 2 hours ago :)

I do, I use extra virgin oil (so virgin it almost squeaks between your fingers) I get it at Costco

I really think you need 48 hours minimum in the brine (imho)

Do/did you rinse it? When I take mine out of the brine, I rinse it really good, and then I soak it in plain water for another half hour. I then pull it our, give it another rinse, and then I put some coffee cups upside down in my empty/cleaned brine bucket. I then put the turkey in the bucket right side up (on the upside cups) and I let it "drain/dry" for no less than 12 hours and ideal would be 24 hours. This year I'm only going to be able to get 20 hours "drain/dry" and that's actually a concern for me. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow, so I won't have a chance to pull mine out of the brine much before 7PM and we're planning dinner at 5PM Thanksgiving day. I'm figuring 2.5 - 3.0 hours cook time at 325-350ish

Chuck: I wonder if putting it in front of a fan for a bit would help if you're short on dry time. Kinda like some do with salmon to form the pellicle.

That's an interesting idea Jim. I'm thinking of pulling it out of the fridge 3 hours before it goes on the WSM (and there's health some concerns doing that) but maybe fanning it for an hour might be the ticket. Good call, thanks

Back