Maverick Temp Probes Off

Chris D Norton

TVWBB Member
I have the newer design temp probes Mavericks where I have to have them out a little.

At room temps they where both off by 4 degrees from the probe (using thermocouple for probe). The 4th is the pit probe that I'm using for ambient and it matches up with outside temps.

When I plug them into the Heatermeter towards the end of the cook they are now off by 15 degrees. I plugged them into my maverick redi check to confirm. It reads 190 and 189 for probes. The Heatermeter reads 174 and 171.

Had the same problem and overcooked the first butt where it read 190 forever so I checked with my thermapen and it was 204-206 so I see a pattern.

I plugged the temp probe I have as ambient and it reads 66 on all 3. Testing the food probes all three spots read the same.

Using raspberry pi 3 new software. It seems like they are off by 4-5 deg lower end and the higher they go the more discrepancy there is.

Any thought?

Ok dumbass me!! I thought I had 735 probes and I have 732. As soon as I changed the settings in configuration all is perfect. Sorry about the extra post. Hopefully it may help 1 person from doing dumb s#!t like me. Haha

Thanks for reporting back, as I was sitting here reading the first post I was getting pretty worried that I had somehow messed up the calibrations when I re-did them a couple of months ago. Glad to hear they are ok!

I have 732 probes as well and had to offset the 7 degrees in order to read ~32 degrees in ice water. Is this kind of adjustment normal?

I have 732 probes as well and had to offset the 7 degrees in order to read ~32 degrees in ice water. Is this kind of adjustment normal?

Do you see that same 7 degree offset on all probe ports? A 7 degree adjustment is pretty out of whack.

The probes won't read down to 32° while connected to the HM, regardless if they are working or not.

I believe the cutoff is 37° or 39° for the HM.

I should add the only way to view colder temps on the Heatermeter is to use one of my Adapter boards, it will display temps down in the negativesettings, with some prior adjustments.

I thought that only applied to the TC amp, not the thermistor probes.

The thermistors will drop out when they get to a certain point, the Maverick 732 probes are prone to this at low temps. But any low temps below 40 will not be best way to get the accuracy of the thermistors. Boiling is the way to go. Or if you have a TC probe you can verify temps of the thermistors, they all should be within 2° or so.

When I make a heatermeter, I always do a boiling water test.

Back