Need Advice on my Thanksgiving Smoke

Anthony Loy

Hi All,
I need a little advice for my thanksgiving Smoke. On my 18” WSM I want to cook a about an 19 pound Ham and a 19 Pound turkey at the same time which will be the first time for me smoking either. From my reading on the website I can cook them both at a temp around 325 degrees and the turkey will be the shortest cook time. My questions are, would you put the ham on the lower great and the turkey on the upper grate since the turkey will go on after the ham? Also is it ok to let the turkey drippings go on to the Ham below or should I put some foil under the turkey to divert the juices from dripping on the ham? Can I leave the drip pan empty to collect the drippings of both the turkey and ham to make gravy later? I welcome all advice and guidance! Thanks in advance.

Take the thighs and attached legs off of the turkey and place them on either side of the turkey. Turkey will cook faster this way. My brined turkeys typically take around 90 minutes at 300F to get to 155F in the breast and 170F in the thighs.

Anthony, your first time smoking either and you are doing them together? You must be an adventurous guy! Apple wood?

In know, doing both may be a challenge that's why I'm asking for pointers from the pros here :) I have hickory and cherry wood that I can use for the smoke. I was thinking of using two large chucks of each, thoughts? Is there a problem I should be aware of trying to smoke both at the same time? Keep the suggestions coming please and thanks all!

I love pecan smoke with turkey. I might throw some oak or hickory in if I were doing a ham (or a pork butt) along with it. :)

Anthony.
Personally, I would use a fruit wood for poultry. (Pear, Apple, Cherry, Orange or Pear).
Hickory, Oak or Pecan great for pork products.
Good luck.

If I am wrong, I hope others will please correct me; I would go with the ham on top and turkey on the bottom. I have no facts to back me up, but I would be hesitant of raw turkey juices dripping onto the ham. Again, just my thinking and nothing else.. As for the smoke wood, if hickory and cherry are your options, I would probably go 2 chunks of cherry and 1 small chunk of hickory. Hickory is a strong smoke wood and can easily over power the taste of your turkey. Foods such as turkey and chicken do better with milder smoke woods (like the cherry you have). I would rather go light on the smoke flavor and still enjoy the meal, as opposed to having it too smokey and not enjoying any of it.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out..
Tim

My questions are, would you put the ham on the lower great and the turkey on the upper grate since the turkey will go on after the ham? Also is it ok to let the turkey drippings go on to the Ham below or should I put some foil under the turkey to divert the juices from dripping on the ham? Can I leave the drip pan empty to collect the drippings of both the turkey and ham to make gravy later? I welcome all advice and guidance! Thanks in advance.
It would be "OK" if the turkey dripped on the ham, however if it were me, I would put the turkey in a throw away aluminum pan to catch the juices to make gravy. Double check your ham, it might be cook already and adjust your cook accordingly. By the way, welcome to the forum

As has been said, make sure you don't have a 'pre-cooked' ham. I think putting the turkey on top is fine, but I'd put it in a foil pan, 1) to get the drippings for gravy and 2) to keep them off the ham. I would stay away from hickory. It will overpower the turkey and may do the same to the ham. Apple would be my first choice, followed by a mix of apple and cherry.

Another option to consider would be to cook the ham in advance, then reheat in the oven (or another grill), wrapped in foil.

A 19lb turkey will be a little tight on the WSM. I'd think that doing two big chunks of meat like that at the same time will give you some challenges, not the least of which will be keeping cook temps up.

Well I ended up with a 14 pound turkey and I do plan to place it in a aluminum pan to catch the drippings. I already have cherry and hickory wood so I will be using that for the smoke going heavy on the cherry. I just looked at the ham my wife bought and it a 10 pound "Pre-Cooked" ham so I don't know what I'm going to do about that now. Should I still throw the Ham on the smoker or should I try and get non pre-cooked ham? Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

As has been said, make sure you don't have a 'pre-cooked' ham. I think putting the turkey on top is fine, but I'd put it in a foil pan, 1) to get the drippings for gravy and 2) to keep them off the ham. I would stay away from hickory. It will overpower the turkey and may do the same to the ham. Apple would be my first choice, followed by a mix of apple and cherry.

Another option to consider would be to cook the ham in advance, then reheat in the oven (or another grill), wrapped in foil.

A 19lb turkey will be a little tight on the WSM. I'd think that doing two big chunks of meat like that at the same time will give you some challenges, not the least of which will be keeping cook temps up.

My bird last year was a lil over 15 lbs and it just fit ...this year it's going on the kettle.

Good luck!

Back